Cake Mixes Vs. Cakes From Scratch

Decorating By Jillybean78 Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm by maisyone2

Jillybean78 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 7

Hello All
I plan on making a 3 teir cake for an upcomming party and I was wondering if it is possible to use store bought cake mixes for this. I plan on covering in fondant also and decorating them.

If the store bought mixes are not great for this, does anyone have any ideas or favourite recipes or sites where I can get some good recipes to do this!

Thanking you all in advance!

6 replies
Kristie925 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 7

I've done 4 tier cakes using boxed mixes! It's all about your supports, not the cake mix!

kneenah Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 7

Is there a great time line with box mix cakes... I use them and my cakes are too soft.. When i add the forsting my cakes crumble

Kristie925 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 7

I use DH and put a box of instant pudding in mine. I've never had a problem!

Jillybean78 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 7

Why add instant pudding mix? I am getting nervous now...lol!

I am just worried that they might be too soft. I was going to use bubble tea straws as support and cardboard under each tier. Is that enough support if I use boxed mixes do you think?

I am planning on baking them on a Thursday letting them sit and start decorating the Friday for the party on Saturday.

leily Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybean78

I am just worried that they might be too soft. I was going to use bubble tea straws as support and cardboard under each tier. Is that enough support if I use boxed mixes do you think?.

It doesn't matter if you use box mix, scratch cake, modified box, or any other type of recipe when making a tiered cake. As mentioned above it's all in your support structure, your cake is just sitting on it. A lot of people use bubble tea straws so you shouldn't have any problems using those.

maisyone2 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 7

I've been baking and decorating cakes for 30 years and I've only used box mixes and have had absolutely NO problems with any of my multi-tiered cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%