Taboo Subject, But I Could Use Some Advice..

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm by lacey88

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to do a stacked pillow cake (Italian theme)for 250-275 people. Red Velvet/cream cheese filling, fondant covered. My fondant prices start at $4 ps and go up depending on difficulty of design (I know to some, that is inexpensive ot downright cheap) anyway, I know that I will be charging her more than that, Im just lost as to how much more..

I guess my problem is, I dont want to over price myself and have her go to someone else. Ugh..this is so frustrating to me.... Is $6 ps too much for a stacked pillow cake for 250????? I know some of you will give me hell for even asking, but if I weren't so unsure, I wouldn't be asking. I think I have enough talent to ask the price.....well I guess I just answered my own question....Thanks for listening/reading...sometimes it helps just to say/type it outloud .....lol

5 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 6

i can't comment on your specific prices b/c i don't know you're cost. However i can say that i charge 50% more for carved pillow cakes than my standard serving. So based off of that, your higher price comes in right at where i would charge.

cathie_shinnick Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you leily

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 6

I agree. If your standard fondant price is $4/serving, then I think your price of $6/serving for a carved pillow cake is on target. You have the talent, so go for it!

We'll be waiting to see pics! icon_biggrin.gif

cathie_shinnick Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks girls.....I will call her now icon_smile.gif I will post pictures after the 26th of this month...if she agrees with the price....

lacey88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey88 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 6

pillow cakes are a lot of work. dont be afraid to charge what your worth. i know places that would even charge up to 7 or 8 per slice icon_smile.gif good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%