Help Please! Gumball Machine Cake Top Help And Price

Decorating By sumerae Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 3:59pm by KHalstead

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 2

Okay, I am on the hunt for a fishbowl....do they make them in plastic, glass seems like it'd be to heavy, where have ya'll found them?

2nd question, how do you attach it to the cake??

and 3rd question, how many people does this cake feed?? (assuming an 8 in. base)

1 reply
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 2

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1211765

here is a gumball machine cake I did...I bought the fishbowl at wal-mart, I used 6" cakes stacked up and carved a little bit.

I put the candy (skittles in my case) inside the bowl and then cut a piece of cardboard and hot glued it to cover the opening on the fish bowl. Once that was dry and secure, I flipped the fish bowl upside down (because I liked the shape of the bowl that way better) Then I made a blob of fondant for the top and shaped it to look like the top of a gumball machine. Placed a round button of gray fondant painted silver with a line through the center to look like the big silver screw on the top.

For the cake part I just carved a little, put some icing, then fondant, and doweled the cake with 3 wooden dowels in a triangle then put a cake board cut to the exact size of the bottom of the bowl (the bottom with the cardboard circle attached)

I sat the bowl on top of the cake board (that's sitting on the dowels) and then put a rope of fondant around the base of the bowl and secured it to the fondant on the base cake, once the fondant was the right size and in place I carefully lifted the bowl back off the cake, traveled to the site and when I got there all I had to do was stick the bowl on top and the fondant rope was already there to act as a cradle

HTH

it's really one of the EASIEST cakes there is to make!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%