Cake Tiers

Decorating By KierstenHayden Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 4:53pm by CWR41

KierstenHayden Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a four tier round wedding cake to feed 250 people. I am not sure what size tiers to do. I have a cake stand that is 18 in. and I do not want the cake board overlapping the stand. Will a 16 in., 13 in, 10 in., and 7 in. be enough if I add a third layer of cake to each tier. I want them taller anyways, but I don't know how many servings an extra layer adds to a cake.

6 replies
onceuponacake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 7

according to the charts, it would serve about 210, but if you add an extra layer making it 3 layers, it should give you the 250. do a search on for the cake servings that might give you better idea

CWR41 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 7

The problem is that the third layer won't get you any more servings because it probably wouldn't be sliced any thinner than 1" wide. If you split the difference of your 6" tall tier(s) and put a cake circle in the middle at 3" so it could be cut to serve more, then you don't need a four-tier cake... a three-tier cake would be enough.

You could make a 14" x 10" x 6" (116/12icon_cool.gif x 2 (servings doubled for 6" tall) = 232/256. Keep in mind that this option most likely wouldn't leave the couple with a top tier to freeze for their anniversary, so you might consider a separate tier on the side (like boxed up "to go" in the kitchen).

Kristie925 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

You could always do the cake in the sizes you mentioned, but do a half sheet cake also.

CWR41 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 7

I wouldn't serve a sheet cake at a wedding. A two-layer kitchen cake would work though... as long as it looked the same as the wedding cake with the same filling, and the same height.

KierstenHayden Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 7

Do you think it would look tacky with the board overlapping about 1" all the way around the cake?

CWR41 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by KierstenHayden

Do you think it would look tacky with the board overlapping about 1" all the way around the cake?

Not for the base tier as long as it's not so big that it overhangs from your stand. I like using 4" larger boards (covered of course), to end up with 2" extra all the way around. If this is a BC cake, you'll need a board that's somewhat larger to account for the icing and ease of handling. If it's a fondant cake, you could get away with no base board showing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%