Mad Hatter/topsy Turvy Cake Question!

Decorating By MaggieBakes Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 11:33pm by MaggieBakes

MaggieBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaggieBakes Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:50am
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am going to be attempting my very first "mad hatter" style of cake soon for a friends baby shower. I've seen quite a few tutorials and feel prepared, but one thing I haven't been clear on is... do you need to have a cake board underneath each layer of cake? Or do you just put in the dowels and rest cake on cake?

Up until this point I've only ever made 2 tiered cakes and have never used a cake board. The mad hatter I'm planning on making will have 3-4 tiers.

Help please!

7 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:17am
post #2 of 8

I always have each tier on it's own separate board, regardless of number of tiers and style.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:34am
post #3 of 8

yes definitely use a cake board underneath each layer every time you stack a cake! the dowels will go straight through the top tier just as easily as they pressed through the bottom layer if you don't (disaster pending!). i prefer to use foam core cut to size for each cake because it doesn't absorb moisture as much as cardboard. hth!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgj_jda71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgj_jda71 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 11:02am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_architect

yes definitely use a cake board underneath each layer every time you stack a cake! the dowels will go straight through the top tier just as easily as they pressed through the bottom layer if you don't (disaster pending!). i prefer to use foam core cut to size for each cake because it doesn't absorb moisture as much as cardboard. hth!

thanks for sharing this tips,i have a few question about the foam core...how do you do so that the foam core board is safe to use in between cakes?do you put any greaseproof papers in it?and how do you attach them?thanks in advance. josie

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 11:28am
post #6 of 8

I only use cardboards between layers and have no problems.

Sharon Zambito has a DVD out on tt cakes which delivers a foolproof result, IMO. Well worth the investment!

lacey88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey88 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 8

make sure you use a center dowel! thats so important. always use cardboard or foam core between each layer. i ordered a video by lindy smith for topsy turvey cakes. she explains it really well if you have any problems. good luck

MaggieBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaggieBakes Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much guys! Here's to hoping it turns out icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%