Cake Ball Pricing???

Decorating By misterc Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 4:20pm by TexasSugar

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:50am
post #1 of 5

I have a bride that asked how much I would charge for 300 cake balls. I haven't ever sold my cake balls, they have always been gifts to friends and family. My cakes start at $3.75 per serving. I would love some guidance on pricing cake balls. I thought I could check out what other cake shops are charging locally for them but no one seems to sell them here. I would love some advice. Thanks!

4 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:11am
post #2 of 5

No matter what you charge, if you call them "cake truffles" I bet you could get more for them icon_wink.gif I have seen them priced from $1.00 to 1.50 but it does seem to vary from place to place. I think the best way to price them would be the same way cakes are priced, ingredients plus an hourly wage.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:47am
post #3 of 5

I've haven't seen them for less than $2 and as high as $2.25 undecorated. And I agree, cake truffles.

"What's the difference between a cabin and a cottage?" I asked the guy at the camping place. "A cottage rents for more." Ah ha.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys. I totally agree with the ball verses truffle. I actually call them truffles usually but the bride asked for cake balls and then I had it stuck in my head.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 5

I'd look at cost and labor. I haven't made cake truffles/balls so I don't know how much time is involved in the baking balls and dipping them. Also are they decorated or just to be plain?

I'd also sell them in dozen or two dozen or what ever amount a 'recipe' usually makes, I'm the same way on cupcakes though. I wouldn't just sell 6 cupcakes, when the recipes makes 24.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%