Sure Cuts A Lot - Please Help

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 4:29am by CiNoRi

rharris524 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:30am
post #1 of 5

I just downloaded this software with hopes to use it with my cricut cake...read on here that you can make a design from any image on the web. Anyhow, i cannot figure out how to convert the image to SVG and then how to import it...usually I'm reasonably savvy but this time I'm stumped. PLEASE HELP!

4 replies
Jenn2179 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:40am
post #2 of 5

Do u have version 1 or 2? Let me know, I can help. Also their blog is amazingly helpful.

Lcubed82 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:42am
post #3 of 5

When I use SCAL, I use one of two ways. There is a freeware program called Inkscape that will convert images to .svg. I have used that for more complex graphics. The other option is in SCAL itself. At the top, in the middle-ish of the group, there is an icon for Trace Image. This opens a pop-up box that has various variables that allows you to create a line drawing from your graphic. Browse opens your Windows index of your computer to import your art. The settings can be adjusted to render a better line. Break Apart Outlines will create create multiple layers for the parts of your design.

When done getting your cutting line, open the page you want to cut, then click on the scissors icon. It will check to see that you are connected to your Cricut, then process the info, and start to cut. (your cricut should be turned on before clicking scissors.)

I usually move my pieces in from the edges a bit, as you get a cleaner cut. Do this in the software. If you move your blade, then click Cut, it will move the blade back to the starting position.

HTH! Not an expert, but have done several projects. Getting ready to cut Steelers logos for cookies tomorrow!

rharris524 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:07am
post #4 of 5

It's version 1...not sure if i need to get version 2 to do what I want but I'm too tired to figure it out tonight. I'll look at their blog tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

CiNoRi Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:29am
post #5 of 5

Ya, get version 2. You won't need inks cape then. V2 has more features now built in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%