Calling All Wilton Stand Up House Pan Users

Decorating By RosieC Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm by gscout73

RosieC Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 10

I just bought this pan and am wondering about something. I am wondering about the results from using a regular cake mix in this pan. I know pound cake would be sturdier but pound cake with icing on it does not sound appetizing to me! Does the cake hold up well using regular mix? Any trouble with the cake falling over when transporting? Any ideas are welcome!

9 replies
princess_09 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:27am
post #2 of 10

When I used this pan I made two cakes in it and put them back to back. They never fell over, but I never transported them other than moving them to the table.

birdlady9771 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:43am
post #3 of 10

I used a regular cake mix (doctored) and had to make my own support system to get it to stand up for transport. I used 2 dowels glued to a cardboard then premade holes on the cake board, pushed the dowels through. Glued another piece of cardboard over the dowels and onto the cake board - just to make it sturdier. When dry, I lowered the cake onto it then finished decorating. I know it sounds confusing - I was just winging it and it worked.

Good Luck!

tlreetz Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:06am
post #4 of 10

I've used it as is and transported it 4 hours and never had a problem.

cheatize Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 10

I used a doctored mix, sandwiched three of them together, stood them up, and then used skewers at an angle that pushed into the board underneath. Cake muggle hubby transported it during morning rush hour and cake muggle customer transported it to his house during evening rush hour.

It arrived with no mishaps. I think a straight box would be too soft to stand up.

Kayakado Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 10

If I am using mixes I often mix a pound cake with a regular cake mix and add some extra flavoring stuff, almost the density of pound cake but better flavors.

RosieC Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:46am
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone. I never thought about mixing pound cake with reg mix...might try that.

gscout73 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:57am
post #8 of 10

I've made many-scratch, doctored and straight box. The straight box did just fine. Movement is a greater concern.

RosieC Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:34am
post #9 of 10

What I plan to do is sit the house atop a one layer cake base and probably sit the house on a cake board made to fit and then dowel (using skewers) to the base. Hoping it will work...won't have to travel much distance so will cross my fingers!

gscout73 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 10

My haunted house cake is a double house cake back to back on a board, then on a rectangle with the edges rounded and then on top of a larger rectangle. There are 2 bamboo skewers diagonal thru both house halves (to hold the houses together during the motion of moving it), then 2 dowels all the way straight thru the base. Worked like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%