How Much To Pay For Oven?

Business By countrycaker Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 5:01pm by countrycaker

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 5

I know this is vague and the range of prices is probably vast but today I had a lady call and ask if I was interested in buying her oversized oven (fits full sheet cakes). She said it is about 20 years old but still works great and that she would also include 5 full-size sheet cake pans. (She used to do cakes but had to quit for health-related reasons). She is going to do a little research first before she gives me a price and I forgot to ask her the brand so I know it's hard to say, but what do you all think? Is it too old to risk buying? If it's middle-of-the-road brand, what would you be willing to pay? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

4 replies
love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 5

I'm by no means an expert on ovens and I may have over paid when I bought mine ($1200). I've got a Deluxe and like it a lot! Even though its actually a bread oven (proofer on bottom like at subway). I just use the proofer part for pan storage and can cook 3 full sheets at a time (enough for me right now).

With that being said, when she gives you a price go ahead and do the research... look on craigslist or other website like that and see if any come up and what they are asking, look on ebay and see what auctions are going for for similar ovens.

My guess is.... the more interested you are and if you do not know much about ovens she will ask top dollar. Don't be afraid to tell her if you've found some cheaper and offer her a price (if you think she is asking too much).

I have seen oven go for great prices at auctions (after I bought mine of course!), maybe look into that?

good luck!

countrycaker Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:04am
post #3 of 5

Okay, so I found out the oven is actually 40 years old, not 20. It's a GE 36" wide, 30" deep, countertop oven and the lady selling it is asking $450. She's including 9 full-sheet pans. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. The age kind of scares me, and if the oven were to need repairs in the future, I'm thinking it could be next to impossible to find parts. Also, is an oversized oven really an essential? Hmm. I just don't know.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:13am
post #4 of 5

I would pass...not only will it be hard to fix when it breaks down, but it probably uses much more energy than a new oven.

Whether or not you need an oversized oven really depends on your business and how much baking you need to do at one time.

countrycaker Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5

You're right. I didn't even think about the energy costs. I also don't trust that it will still work after being transported. $450 just isn't worth the risk. Too bad she didn't just say, "You come get it out of my way and it's yours!" icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%