Eyelet And Lace

Decorating By SheriCakes4u Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 1:02am by Karen421

SheriCakes4u Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 6

Help! I have been asked to make the wedding cake (attached) for a good friend's son in a couple of months. I have recently done a couple of fondant covered wedding cakes, but this is beyond what I'm comfortable with.

Has anyone ever done a cake like this? I sure could use a "mentor" with the lace and quilting...I will be practicing lots between now and June!!! I saw a great post on quilting earlier today (I am finding I'm spending an inordinate amount of time on Cake Central and a few of the online "stores" trying to track down exactly what I need for this one! BUT did I say "Thank God for CakeCentral!!!" icon_smile.gif

My questions so far are:

1) How do I attach the "lace" to the fondant covering the cake so that it (the whole lace panel) won't slide down?

2) I think the lace cutter I need for the top layer is FMM Straight Frills (Set 9-12) and for the bottom layer, FMM Straight Frills (Set 1-4), along with the Broderie Eyelet Cutters 1 & 2. Am I making this too hard on myself; is there a better way?

3) I need to find either the lace runner or a pattern similar to the one on the third layer. Can anyone suggest a good place to look for something like that?

I sure do appreciate the knowledge pool and everyone that is so willing to share their techniques! I love this site!

5 replies
SheriCakes4u Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry, picture didn't attach -- I can't seem to figure out how to get it to attach!

The link for the picture is:

cheatize Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

As long as it's not too heavy, it should stick just fine with a little bit of water.

KJ62798 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 12:01am
post #4 of 6

Cal Java online has a lot of different lace molds for fondant. The molds can be rather pricey so watch for sales.

They run weekly sales and if you sign up for their email newsletter you will get updates on the sales.

This week luster dust is on sale but the molds do go on special.

Good Luck

TheBakingNurse Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 12:24am
post #5 of 6

It looks to me like it's actually piped rather than molded out of fondant...but I could be wrong....

Karen421 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #6 of 6

Try Global Sugar Art, they carry some nice lace cutters, like the FMM Textured Lace Set. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%