Textured Frosting

Decorating By tifmonster Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 12:55am by gscout73

tifmonster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tifmonster Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, this may seem horribly simple, but I guess I don't know the right terms to search when looking for a how-to on this.

I want to learn how to create a simple textured look like on this cake:

What kind of frosting do I use to get this look? Will buttercream work, or only whipped? Are there any tutorials?

Do I just use a spatula and see how it looks, then add accents? It seemed so perfect and beautiful when I saw it.. but maybe it's easy and I'm just making it hard?

Thank you all!

11 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 12

Can you try to repost the pic or link? It's not showing up.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 12

Regular Buttercream will work just fine.
Use your rounded end frosting spatula and some practice.
It is easier than you think.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:29am
post #4 of 12

Yup, just practice using your rounded spatula knife - a medium to small blade. The nice thing is that it's really hard to mess this one up! icon_smile.gif

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:43am
post #5 of 12

You could also try using the back of a spoon to create the texture, slightly overlapping each stroke.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:40am
post #6 of 12

Maybe I'm missing something. But it looks to me as though the frosting is simply spread on the cake and just not smoothed out. I don't see any special texture. If you wanted something more deliberate looking, yes a large spoon would give you the look you see on boxes of cake mix and the pre-made icing tubs in stores. That kind of curl or swirl look. But to me this looks more random.

tifmonster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tifmonster Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you, and I'm sorry, I guess it was that simple.

I was all confused when she brought it over, because it looked amazing, and wasn't smooth at all. I'm used to trying to get mine perfectly smooth, I guess I've never really played with the idea of just throwing it on! Thanks again for your help, I'll play around next time I make a cake...

I should note, that I am not great with icing, way better with fondant, haha!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 12

My Betty Crocker cookbook from the '50's says to use the back of a spoon. I'd make sure the icing was plenty soft so it would swoosh around.

gscout73 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifmonster

I should note, that I am not great with icing, way better with fondant, haha!

That is exactly why most BC decorators move to fondant. Roll it out, lay it and smooth/press. And it's smooth as satin. Many who make the move to fondant never go back. I personally like both.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

That is exactly why most BC decorators move to fondant. Roll it out, lay it and smooth/press. And it's smooth as satin. Many who make the move to fondant never go back. I personally like both.

icon_confused.gif I don't know any BC decorators that moved to fondantthey might have dabbled, experimented, etc. and discovered that it's too time consuming; too much rolling, lifting, smoothing, while BC is quick and easy. If the BC is smooth to begin with, it's easy to get a smooth-as-satin finish without using all of the other smoothing techniques.

A lot of BC decorators would agree that "everyone's a decorator" with the use of playdoh-fondant, cutters, and cricuts, and that it takes a more creative talent to be able to pipe the old fashioned way.

I see some advantages with bothmore realistic with fondant in some cases, but you can't make a shell border very easily with it!!!!!

gscout73 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:54am
post #11 of 12

Oh, i've seen posts were some have said they'd never go back. But you are so right about the shell border icon_lol.gif

gscout73 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:55am
post #12 of 12

Oh, i've seen posts were some have said they'd never go back. But you are so right about the shell border icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%