My Cake Is Too Moist. Help I Need A Dense Recipe!

Baking By faithrenee Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 6:05pm by Chasey

faithrenee Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 7

We made our first fondant covered 3 tiered cake this weekend. I looked really nice, but the bottom layer sagged A LOT!! Does anyone have a recipe that isnt so moist? Thanks

6 replies
Chasey Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 7

Do you feel like it's the recipe and not the support system in the cake?

Your other tiers didn't sag under the fondant?

How thick is the fondant?

What is your recipe? (box, doctored box, scratch?)

faithrenee Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 7

We used marshmallow fondant. And we used a box mix. The only thing that we had between the layers was the cardboard circles.

ddaigle Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 7

If you did not have those tiers resting on dowel rods--than that was your sagging issue. You can stack cheesecakes on top of each other with the proper supports.

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 7

I agree..You need support which means dowels to carry the weight of the top tiers..It's not your cake recipe....Cardboard alone won't hold the weight.

faithrenee Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much... You guys are a big help. thumbs_up.gif

Chasey Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 7

There ya go! I thought the support system was the main culprit when you said only the bottom layer was sagging and it was a 3 tiered cake.

You can find tons of threads on how to stack cakes here and find videos on Youtube.

Keep reading here and I bet you'll find answers to 75% of your questions. In the search box type the word AND in between key words to bring the topic up. For example, if I wanted to learn about blue roses, I would type blue AND roses. Hope that helps you get started!

Have fun with your new hobby! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%