Dried Out Fondant

Decorating By knoxmom Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 2:55pm by cfpeoples

knoxmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxmom Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 3

For my son's third birthday I made him a 3-D car cake entirely of fondant. This was the first time I had made a 3-D cake and the first time I had covered a cake entirely out of fondant. I used Satin Ice Fondant and I made it the day before and I just left it out on the table until the party the next day. The next day when we cut the cake the fondant had crusted was not soft at all and dried out. What did I do wrong? I don't want to make this mistake again. Should I have covered it over night although I believe it was dried out before I finished decorating it. Can someone give me tips on fondant and what I can do?

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 3

I have used Satin ice fondant twice now and it was for my son's birthday cake also..I had the same result.Many have reported it is hard to work with also as it is dry....Have never used it since..Maybe try another brand.

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 3

I normally make the Marshmallow Fondant from this website. It is easy to make and cheap. I have used satin ice before (especially if i need black) and it does dry out quickly. Sometimes you want pieces to harden for certain things, so i do keep some on hand, but for covering a whole cake, i really prefer the MMF

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%