Is This A Crazy Idea For A New Business Stimulator??

Business By dreamacres Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 1:30am by tracycakes

dreamacres Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 10

Well I feel I have done my time baking and giving cakes away. Husband is now laid off and money is not there to keep this up.

Indiana law does permit me to sell cakes made in home kitchen as long as I follow the guidelines. I have yet to sell a cake. Was offered a $10.00 tip for a two tier 10-8 inch cake covered in fondant. Geez..........

Anyway I am thinking about offering a make your own cake type of class. They can come to my home, purchase ingredients from me, and pay me hourly while we work on their designs together. My thinking is I would build a customer for life because they would understand the time involved in designing, the cost in ingredients, and be more than happy to pay someone else to do it next time!!

After all this time, no cake orders, the comments I get is "wish I could afford one of your cakes they are awesome but need something less expensive" Maybe if they understand why the cost so much, they would be willing to pay for them??

If feels like I am trying to build a mountain by carrying the dirt a teaspoon at a time............ at least it would be some money coming in and as long as I am honest with them about how much they should expect in time and money, why not?? I have been asked to do this, what would the negative side be???

9 replies
justkist Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 10

I think teaching is a great idea as an income generator but not a customer generator. As soon as you teach them to do it themselves... they will!!! A person wouldnt take the class if they werent intersted in doing it themselves.

LikeI said, still a good idea but would not generate customers IMHO.

Annabakescakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 10

If you teach people to make cakes, you will not have them as customers, they will do it themselves. Teach if you like, but don't expect them to order from you.

I started decorating because it was fun, and then I noticed cakes are expensive, that is why I keep doing it. I would never order a cake in a million years. I won't even buy a slice of cheesecake in a restaurant. I would, before I knew how to make it myself though.

what_a_cake Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 10

Agree with justkist, there's an idea you can work to generate income and maybe grow your teaching business... but most people will make their own cakes once they learn the How-To. I believe they may go back to you as customers for a wedding cake, but no for regular celebrations

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 10

I have to agree with Justkist....If they are interested in learning how to do it because they are somewhere along the line wanting to save money by doing it themselves....

I understand your frustration trying to teach and make regular folk understand how much time and money goes into a cake but unfortunatley you never will...

Great idea..You may make the money up front on the classes but a long time cake customer..I doubt it...

Corrie76 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 10

It sounds like to me that you have been making cakes for the wrong people. From what you say they are as broke as you-these people are not your customers....you need to find new customers.

I myself, am not able to afford my own cakes, or my friends for that matter icon_lol.gif . Luckily enough they are my friends and not my customers....

Try to figure out a way to break into the upper-crust folks of your area. I made cookies for a swanky golf tournament, went on FB and asked for the friendship of all the bored, rich housewives in this town (and amazingly enough they willingly accepted)...and before I knew it, I started getting plenty of orders.

Even my husband can't believe how much $$ these people are willing to pay for "just a cake". Of course all he has to do is whine around for a day or two to get one, lol.

My concern with the cake decorating tudoring sessions is this: Remember the old adage, "give a man a fish-he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"...well in the selling cake business-you do NOT want this to happen.

You may very well be creating a situation where your potential customer- who's just had a one-on-one training session with you will think, "wow that was fun! I can't wait until the next party so I can pull this cake thing off on my own"

Now, if you want to start a class or a make-your-own-cake thing, that's totally fine-just remember that a typical client will only utilize this service for so long, until they just start making their own and then you've just lost a customer and will have to start over the process of finding a new customer/student.

IMHO, you better off finding talentless, rich people who just "have to have" your cakes-they will be your real customers for life...HTH

Annabakescakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

IMHO, you better off finding talentless, rich people who just "have to have" your cakes-they will be your real customers for life...HTH

Tallentless rich folks are my favorite! Especially the ones who have been to parties with my cake, and feel the need to "one-up" everyone, so they have to order bigger and fancier and more expensive than the last person! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 10

That's my market too, annabakescakes!

Corrie76 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

Tallentless rich folks are my favorite! Especially the ones who have been to parties with my cake, and feel the need to "one-up" everyone, so they have to order bigger and fancier and more expensive than the last person! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

You are so right, I've had customers call and say, "I want a cake just like the one at So-and-So's party...only can you do something extra, I want mine to have more "wow" going on..." and all I can say is "Sure thing, it'll only cost just a little more..." icon_razz.gif

tracycakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:30am
post #10 of 10

One of my best customers is a woman that took cake decorating classes. She took Wilton Course 1 and then asked me to make her husbands 50th birthday cake. When I get into a bigger place, I plan to have some classes. Once people learn how hard it is, many times they decide it takes too much and become your customer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%