Dark Chocolate

Lounge By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm by dchockeyguy

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:08am
post #1 of 4

As I stand in my kitchen attempting to temper a dark chocolate mix to mold for my daughter, I wonder about ways to make it taste better. Any clues? What about adding sea salt? She is pretty picky eater, not liking fruits, so if I add a flavoring, it would have to be something like caramel, or something else, but I'm not sure what else would be good with chocolate. (I can use LorAnn oils, right?) I might also dip marshmallows and pretzels as she can use some extra calories as well.

You're probably wondering what this is all about. My daughter (age 8 ) and I (40) have both recently been diagnosed ADHD. (for me that diagnosis explains my entire life!) anyway my daughter's doctor told me to start giving her 70% or higher dark chocolate every day. It tastes nasty though so he said I can start with a mix and work our way up to the full 70% for her. He told me that there's are some new studies showing that an ingredient called phenylethylamine (PEA), which is in Ritalin/Adderall, is also in dark chocolate and is helping some people with ADHD.

I have been trying it myself and find that I do feel like my mind is more 'organized' and I feel less hyper. I can also feel when it's wearing off. The doc said the effects last for about 3.5 hours. Another bonus for me is that supposedly it helps lower high blood pressure. Well, my doctor gave me a new prescription, which I was supposed to start a week ago. I lost the bottle and keep forgetting to call him for a new Rx. Surprisingly though, I'm not having all the usual symptoms I get from the high blood pressure, so I think it is helping. I do intend to call the doc in the morning though and discuss this with him. I'm not in the mood for having complications right now!

Thanks for any ideas you can offer to make this more palatable for my daughter. (I hate the taste too, but I can deal with it.)

3 replies
dchockeyguy Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 4

Perhaps it's the brand you are using? I have a 72% dark that I love. I don't think it tastes nasty at all. Could you just make truffles out of it instead? Would that work?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 4

When I say nasty tasting, I mean bitter. I've tried all different brands, the bitterness is all the same. We're using Lindt right now. We also have some Ghiradelli and some Moser Roth (from Aldi).

I also just ready that the European chocolate has more of the good stuff than American chocolate of the same percentage. Of the three I mentioned, the Moser Roth is the only one produced in Europe (Germany). What brand do you like? Are there any other European varieties that are easy to get (though maybe I should just stick with the Moser Roth because it is much less expensive.)

I think I want to stay away from adding any milk products for now. Some articles I've read say that consuming milk along with the dark chocolate negates the effects. Truffles do sound yummy though! Can they be made without cream? I've only ever used heavy cream.

Thanks!

dchockeyguy Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 4

I am currently using Guittard, which is made in San Francisco. I've seen them in Sur La Table stores, if you have any near you. Not sure if anywhere else sells them in the stores. I don't mind the bitterness myself. I rather enjoy it!

Truffles are made with heavy cream by definition. However, if you got something like Lorrann's Oils you could flavor the chocolate, but it may still have a bitter taste to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%