Dam Filling So Cake Filling Dosnt Leak Out

Decorating By SweetStuff30 Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm by Tclanton

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:40am
post #1 of 13

Hello CAkers!!!!

Is there a special recipe for the icing that you use as a 'dam' around the outer edge of the inside of the cake so the filling dosnt leak out?

Thanks so much!

12 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 7:01am
post #2 of 13

You add more powdered sugar to your regular buttercream to make it really thick. Some make it so thick that you can actually roll it into a rope to use as a dam.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 8:42am
post #3 of 13

I just use the very same icing (same consistency) that I'm putting on the cake. Some icing may perform differently than others, but I've only used one icing and one icing only for 30 years, so I can't really say if there is a difference or not.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 11:35am
post #4 of 13

You can just make very thick buttercream and pipe that around before you fill the middle with your actual filling. Make it so thick its almost a pain to pipe.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 13

Indydebi may I ask- Do you refrigerate your cakes when completed? . I am amazed how many decorators (on t.v.) refrigerate there decorated cakes till delivery (buttercream,fondant,gumpaste)they just pop them in that cooler. Most of the celebrations in my area are done outside.I live in Fla. Now everyone wants these fancy fruit fillings and mousses and fondants they see on t.v.- I just have not had much luck,in making it work. Any suggestions??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 13

I never refrigerated my cakes. And I say never with only 2 exceptions, and those 2 exceptions were my only 2 nightmares with the icing "melting".

Growing up, we never put cake in the 'frig. Our aunts and grammas left cake out on the counter, either under the glass dome or covered in saran or alum. foil. But take up refrigerator space for something that didn't "spoil"? Unheard of. So never, ever, EVER did it occur to me to even THINK about putting a cake in the 'frig.

I dont' use perishable fillings or icings. Had one bride who asked, "Can I have the whole cake iced in cream cheese icing?" and I told her "Not for an outdoor August wedding you can't." thumbs_up.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 13

i use the same icing...works fine w/ me..no bulges

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 13

I use the same icing that I use on the cake and (knock on wood) havent had an issue with any filling that I have used.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 13

If with a dam your filling is leaking out you may to want look at how much you are putting in there and what kind of fillings are you using?

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 13

I don't remember which CC'er suggested this, but some mix in cake scraps into your "dam" frosting to make it even more sturdy if you are having difficulties.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 13

I use the very same icing, too. I read about people making a really thick icing for the dam, so I tried it. It was so thick and dry that the icing didn't "grab" onto the cake and really seal in the filling. (Maybe I made it too thick.. icon_rolleyes.gif ) It was also disgusting to eat because you had a bite with super sweet, dry frosting. thumbsdown.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:16pm
post #12 of 13

i typically ice and fill my cakes with a non-crusting icing that isn't too strong by itself. for my dam, i put my cake scraps (from leveling) into the food processor to make fine crumbs. i mix those with my icing for a thick consistency paste. pop that into a plastic baggie with a large tube tip and pipe around the inside of my torted cake.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 13

In addition to using the same icing, I also us a small star tip to make the dam. My very first cake I made the dam too large and it was ugly when it was cut. Hope all of this helps you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%