Will Crusting Buttercream Flowers Droop In Cellophane??

Decorating By nyqteach Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 11:44pm by indydebi

nyqteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nyqteach Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

Though this is my 1st post, I've been a longtime lurker and have been decorating for a few months now....

I tried my first cupcake bouquet tonight with the crusting buttercream recipe that people use with the paper towel method. I did roses on top of the cupcakes. Everything is all pretty looking in the basket and in the fridge right now.

I am scared to wrap the basket in cellophane for fear that the petals and everything will droop or flop. Will it??? I know fondant will, but this is just crusting buttercream so I'm not really sure.

If it will droop, how long do you think I have? If I take it out of the fridge in the morning and wrap it to take to work and make them open it up and put it in the fridge and then re-tie the cellophane when they go home at the end of the day?? It's a baby gift and I want him to be able to take it home to his wife....

thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:06am
post #2 of 5

Did you let your roses air dry before putting them on the cupcakes? If so, the cellophane probably won't affect them.

Why are they in the frige? I'd be more concerned that the cupcakes will dry out from refrigeration. If your roses were piped without air drying and placed directly on the cupcakes, they will return to the same condition and consistency that they were before chilling them. (So, if they were soft and droopy to begin with, that's what they'll look like when returning to room temperature.)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 7:50am
post #3 of 5

agree with Unlimited totally. If the icing has crusted, then the rose has formed its shape and will hold in the crusted stage. And I never refrigerate my cakes so I'm also confused as to why you would put them in the 'frig anyway? icon_confused.gif

nyqteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nyqteach Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I don't know why I put it in the fridge -- the recipe I used said to refrigerate the icing (I assume since it has butter in it?). I worked at a bakery growing up and the buttercream cakes were always in the fridge too? It was just sort of automatic for me and this was my 1st time using that crusting recipe. In any event, the cupcakes are still moist and tasty and the roses are still rose like, lol... but I took them out of the fridge as soon as I got home from work and will try to wrap them in the morning before I head out. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 5

Just some added info, when I make any BC flowers, I let them air dry. Air drying removes the moisture from the flower, allowing them to keep their shape, makes them more lightweight (less likely to fall or slide off of the cake). When put in the 'frig, this moisture has nowhere to go.

Air drying .... dont' leave home without it! thumbs_up.gif

P.S. hubby and both talk about how our grandmothers (and his mom) left real butter out on the table all day long. In my house, as a kid, we used margarine, but it was also frequently left out to stay soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%