Cream Cheese Icing Without A Fridge?

Decorating By rwarren Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 5:24pm by Kellbella

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:25am
post #1 of 7

Dear decorators,

Please help me solve a dilemma. My mom and I have a bake table on Saturday and I would like to make red velvet heart-shaped cupcakes. I have some cream cheese icing on hand which I know is the traditional topping. However, I will not have access to a fridge or cooler during the sale. So the cupcakes will be at room temperature for potentially several hours.

How long can cream cheese icing survive at room temperature? (Home will be over an hour away, so running home to restock won't help.) And if, as we suspect, it's a no-go, I imagine chocolate fudge buttercream is an acceptable substitute?

please answer by thursday the 3rd so I can plan. thanks in advance.

6 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:29am
post #2 of 7

Cream cheese American buttercream does not need to be refrigerated. The sugar inhibits bacteria growth. Your cupcakes will be fine.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:39am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Cream cheese American buttercream does not need to be refrigerated. The sugar inhibits bacteria growth. Your cupcakes will be fine.

Is that the oe that uses both butter and shortening with cream cheese?

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:02am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Is that the [one] that uses both butter and shortening with cream cheese?

the recipe has cream cheese, margarine, icing sugar, and vanilla. (it's from the Red Hat Society cookbook)

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:09am
post #5 of 7

American buttercream is any buttercream made with powered sugar.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 7

That's good to know, I'm making a large RV cake for Church on Wednesday. icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 7

I have used Toba Garrett's cream cheese BC many times and have left the cakes out for as much as 4 days and have had no problems, the cakes were is a cool, dry room though. I would never leave them out during the summer though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%