Torn Fondant On Square Cake Corners!

Decorating By ceeceebee Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 3:46am by Sorelle

ceeceebee Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:25am
post #1 of 4

Hi all. I am some what new to decorating. I seem to have fondant on round cakes down. BUT. . . I have tried to cover three different square cakes. Each time, my corners just kind of come apart. The fondant doesn't exactly tear, it is like it pulls apart at the corners.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

3 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:27am
post #2 of 4

I don't know if this is the right answer, but I roll my fondant thick if I am covering a square cake.

GenGen Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I don't know if this is the right answer, but I roll my fondant thick if I am covering a square cake.

in anticipation of the new like button somewhere sometime *likes this* lol

y up i learned that too for square cakes, gotta make it thicker so it wont tear much

also for just covering a cake i add some light corn syrup to my fondant *i also use mmf but it works for many kinds of fondant also* and knead it in well- you will most likely have to grease your hands a bit here and there but the corn syrup helps make it pliable enough to drape more like cloth- but you'll still need it thicker for those dratted corners icon_smile.gif

Sorelle Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:46am
post #4 of 4

Be sure to seal the corners and top edges first, sometimes the weight of the fondant will pull so hard that it tears.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%