Nfsc Dough Crumbly- Why???

Baking By cakesrock Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 4:40am by joycesdaughter111

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 9

I followed the NFSC dough recipe exactly (and this is not the first time I've made it) but it is really crumbly icon_sad.gif and won't stick together! Any ideas why and how I can fix?

8 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 9

Did you sift your flour? I know sometimes if I don't sift my flour it is more compact and makes the dough drier. Maybe you could add a little more liquid.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:19am
post #3 of 9

Definately too much flour;
I find that on some days i need more flour while at other times, i need less. It all depends on how dry or humid it is in your house at the time. Start by putting in half the flour and then add slowly until it doesn't feel sticky anymore.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:32am
post #4 of 9

add some liquid a tbsp at a time until it comes together. i live in a very dry climate and this recipe comes out dry.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:36am
post #5 of 9

I agree with the above, too much flour, I always add less flour because you use more flour when you roll it out.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:48am
post #6 of 9

I find it is usually crumbly to. I just dump it out on the counter and knead it together, make it into 2 discs and toss it into the fridge.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:51am
post #7 of 9

That's probably the best sugar cookie recipe I have found. I think if you add some milk, a half a tablespoon at a time and try to knead it in, you will be fine.
Flour is flour. It acts like it wants to.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:25am
post #8 of 9

[quote="jade8"]add some liquid a tbsp at a time until it comes together. i live in a very dry climate and this recipe comes out dry.[/quote

I'm in the same city you are! Yes, it's brutal right now and I thought the flour may be the issue. I'll use a lot less next time

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:40am
post #9 of 9

I've fixed this by kneading in a little softened BUTTER untill the dough stays together. I use this recipe often and this works. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%