Red Velvet Cake

Baking By graciesj Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 5:28pm by Charmaine49

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:01pm
post #31 of 47

[quote="scp1127"]google it, it is everywhere. I'm just a slow typist or I would do it.[/quote]
k will do.icon_smile.gif

graciesj Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:09pm
post #32 of 47

[quote="graciesj"][quote="scp1127"]google it, it is everywhere. I'm just a slow typist or I would do it.[/quote]
k will do.icon_smile.gif[/quote]

just read iticon_sad.gif pretty sad. I think he should hire a business partnericon_smile.gif))))

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 7:48pm
post #33 of 47

graciesj...someone else mentioned this too...but, I add 2 additional TBSP cocoa to the recipe....gives it more flavor.

graciesj Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:18pm
post #34 of 47

After dinner tonight I'll be here writing everything down. Thank-you for reminding me.Cannot waiticon_smile.gif

graciesj Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:32pm
post #35 of 47

Okay I'm on my way...It's baking time

graciesj Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:41am
post #36 of 47

Okay ladies and gents I made the cake. Now what I wish I knew earlier was that U should mix the batter with the whisk tool instead of the the one u use for erg' cakes and such. I haven't heard anything back from the customer, yet, so not sure how they liked it. but I can tell you that I baked 2 batters in a 9x13 square pan and they came out a little dryer that I would've thought. Now all the videos I watch had baked RD cake in 8 or 9" round pans. Would changing the batter size and pan make any difference? Or am I wrong? thxgracie

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:57am
post #37 of 47

graciesj, don't worry, I don't think that cake can get dry.

graciesj Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:00am
post #38 of 47

Aww thank-you, I'm always worried you know. especially when I've never done one before. Just like today I received an order for a cake with chocolate mousse. I've never made one before. I'm telling ya' this business is keeping me on my toes. And yes I love it. thanks darlin'gracie

scp1127 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:06am
post #39 of 47

graciesj, I froze mine for a few hours the first time I made it like I learned on CC for moisture. Well, that cake did not benefit from it. Because it was already so moist, it didn't need any help. It was completely devoured, but I would have liked a little less moisture. And I try to push my cakes to the limit of moist.

graciesj Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:08am
post #40 of 47

Oh yes, that's what I did. So maybe that's y I didn't think it came like I thought. ahhhhhh you're so smart.btw I just a chocolate mousse recipe.icon_smile.gif))))

scp1127 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:34am
post #41 of 47

Then I'm sure it was ok!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #42 of 47

I made Cakeman Raven's recipe last night. This was my first time making any kind of Red Velvet cake at all. It seems to have turned out ok. Didn't have any extra scraps to taste though. My problem was the recipe said to fill 3 9" round pans (1 1/2" deep). I used 8" square (2"deep) instead but I didn't even have enough batter to make two layers. Does that seem right?

I'm going to bake another batch tonight so I can get the height I need. Then at least I'll have some extra to taste. Not good to make a new recipe and not even be able to taste it before giving it away.

scp1127 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:03am
post #43 of 47

I noted on my recipe (I'm a fanatic note-taker) that it makes slightly less than other recipes. Two eights can be torted and you won't have to increase the recipe. But those are rounds and a square pan will be larger.

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:26pm
post #44 of 47

Okay, this is a little different Hope anyone can help.
I always use cakeman Raven recipe but cant find buttermilk.
What can I substitute the buttermilk with ?
URGENT!

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #45 of 47

Use just under 1 cup of milk and add 1Tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice.
Let stand for 5min or so....

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:44pm
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

Use just under 1 cup of milk and add 1Tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice.
Let stand for 5min or so....

Okay I going to use the vinegar. Is it too much vinegar since the recipe already has vinegar ? Just asking since is the first time I using a substitute

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:28pm
post #47 of 47

I don't really think so....as it makes the milk "sour"
and I think buttermilk is a sour tasting milk anyway...
so no, I don't think the extra vinegar would make all that difference

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%