Storing Mmf Figures

Decorating By staceyjoensen Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 9:23pm by EmilyJo9

staceyjoensen Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 3

My son is turning one in March, and I am wanting to do a safari cake for his birthday. I am wanting to do the mmf figures ahead of time though, to cut down on the stress level as it gets closer and closer to his big day. My question is, how far ahead can you do mmf figures? What would be the right way to store them? Or even marzipan?

2 replies
Coral3 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 3

You can do them a month ahead (or even more), assuming they're fondant/gumpaste. Don't know about MMF or marzipan though as I never use it myself. In fact it's better to make them ahead so they have time to dry out properly. Store them in the DARK (very important to prevent colours fading - some pinks and purples fade really badly), and NOT in an air-tight container (you want moisture to escape - trapping it in around the figures can make painted details like eyes go blurry, and can make heads flop over - particularly if you've used either no supports or dry spaghetti for support). I store figurines in a cupboard, in plastic containers without lids on (sometimes I cover loosely with a piece of paper towel, or with the lid askew.)

EmilyJo9 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 3

You can make figures out of MMF but like Coral3 said, DO NOT store in air tight container... I made this mistake and the animals started falling apart!!! Just put them in a container and leave the top open so they can dry out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%