Terrible Outlining With Ri!

Baking By cakesrock Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 3:54pm by scp1127

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 6

I am so bad outlining with RI! A 4 yr old could do a better job. Therefore, I always use fondant. But sometimes I want to do RI outlines/accents on fondant. Any tips on how to do a better job? Or is it just practice, practice, practice!?
TIA

5 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 6

I also like to decorate with fondant but I do do a lot of royal accents. Believe me it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice. You will get better at it but it takes time. icon_smile.gif

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 6

Outlining with RI does take practice and it is also absolutely essential that it be the right consistancy. If it is too thick, it will break the lines easily. If it is too thin, they can become squiggly.
I am sure that with a little more practice you will become an expert!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 6

I find steadying my elbow on the table or something that is even with the cake helps a lot. My hands are shaky, so I found that tip helpful.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 6

I'm the opposite. I can't lean my arms or have them touching anything or I find myself using my squeeze bottle like a pen (touching the surface and writing). I take a deep breath before I start a cookie because breathing moves my body and messes me up. Thankfully, I haven't had a cookie yet that's made me lightheaded. LOL Touch down to attach the royal to the cookies, then lift up while still squeezing it out. Move your bottle (or bag) around the cookie as if you were writing it on there, but in the air- not on the cookie. The royal falls into place, for the most part. Every once in awhile it gets cantankerous and goes over the edge, but for the most part it works for me. The smaller the place where I need to get the royal, the closer I have to be to the cookie.

Have you checked on the videos on Karen's Cookies?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 6

cheatize, great tip. I hold my breath when I paint the edge of a wall. I did not think to apply that to cookies. I like decorating them but I don't usually have the time, so my attempts are mediocre. Practice also conditions and strengthens the muscles used to keep steady, like with cake decorating. That is why I think I can't do it. Until I can devote more time, I will keep getting the same results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%