Renting From Alternative Locations

Business By LittleMissCakeFiend Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 9:19pm by CiNoRi

LittleMissCakeFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMissCakeFiend Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:50am
post #1 of 13

Hi, I was looking for info on renting a location, but a church or existing restaurant, etc. rather than a commercial shared kitchen business. The nice thing about the shared kitchen is that once you sign the paperwork there, all you need is your liability insrance, to take the paperwork to get your license (as the city is very familiar with them), take ServSafe, and list your ingredients for the Dept of Agriculture.

However, their location is not convenient for me, and honestly I think I can find a better deal at a less traditional location. Does anyone rent from a church or restaurant? What steps did you have to take? How did you find it?

If renting from a restaurant, how do you separate yourself from the existing identity? What government departments should I contact for info? I realize things may vary from state to state, but I'm hoping for any helpful information.
Thanks so much!!

12 replies
LittleMissCakeFiend Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 13

So no one rents from anywhere? Or this was just too stupid if a question to answer? Maybe I should ask about pricing, since there are 4 threads on the homepage about that, lol!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 13

It was the middle of the night. Give them a chance to respond. They will.

LittleMissCakeFiend Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 13

I figured you guys just didn't like newbies. Or only like to talk about underpriced cakes. Lol. icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 13

You can find several threads on this if you use the search function.

(from what I've read, it's not very likely that you'll find a church willing to rent their kitchen because they'll lose their non-profit organization status.)

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 13

I agree with CWR41. Renting a commercial kitchen other than one that was constructed for that purpose is tough in most states. Restaurants and caterers are also a challenge. Most chefs and kitchen staff are very territorial. If you find a restaurant owner who is willing, usually the staff will make your life miserable. Sorry this is such a downer, but, it is true to what I've found.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:50am
post #7 of 13

there are several things you would need to consider.
State Laws, County Laws and Federal.
You should be able to contact your State Dept. of Agriculture to see what you need to do for inspection. You also may need to have a county health inspection.
Any business would need to register for a tax ID number. You should probably consider Liability insurance and renters insurance. I'm sure this is not all of the points to consider, but it should head you in the right direction.
You will have to do your leg work. A call to my local County offices helped me tremendously.
Each state varies.

Good Luck to you!

scp1127 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:57am
post #8 of 13

Every town has an abandoned restaurant. That is where you need to start. In this market, you may be surprised at what you could get it for. I used to own a commercial building. Someone in it part time just to let me know if the plumbing leaked would be a good deal for both parties.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 13

Most churches are willing to listen to your ideas. But they prefer a donation rather than rent payment. Where I live, several churches have food businesses that use their kitchens during the week and it's been beneficial to everyone involved.

Shared use kitchens can be very expensive and inconvenient. In addition to church kitchens, look at other social service groups with large kitchen facilities.

LittleMissCakeFiend Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 13

I did find some other threads that were very discouraging, so I'm happy to see those positive posts! So, what differientiates a donation? I've got no problem with that, lol. I saw a thread in here, however, stating that my state will not allow two businesses to share an address (something like that). Obviously, I'm going to have to make some calls. The shared kitchen is so expensive! I just that I would be almost making the cakes just to cover the hours...and then add on the rediculous drive....
I will have a small amount soon that I could use for the shared kitchen, liability insurance, and license. I am confident in my work and business skills. However, I'm nervous about sinking money into something and then have to wait to build a steady flow of business, all while paying that monthly rate for hours I may not use at first. I would truly love to be legal and be able to really work on advertisng and marketing the biz. As much as I love my friends and family, I am ready to get paid for my masterpieces, lol. Birthdays and baby showers are great, but I'd like to do a wedding cake and not worry that I wouldn't be allowed to leave it at a venue. icon_smile.gif

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 13

I'm very interested in the idea of buying an abandoned kitchen space... never really thought about it as a possibility.... but you are right with this market... any ideas on the best way to start looking into it? I know I could call a realtor... but id like get an idea of what i'm getting into first. icon_wink.gif

scp1127 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 13

CiNoRi, DO NOT call a realtor. You will not get a deal. Find the empty restaurants. Ask the neighbors who owns them. If they don't know, go to your courthouse and ask to search for a deed. They can help you find the owners. The tax dept may be able to help, but I'm not sure about that. You can also slide a note (big) under the door. Someone should be checking on the building. Offer a very low rent to increase every month until you arrive at the right rent. This will be beneficial if you need to make repairs... you will. It also gives you time to build your business. And remember, a restaurant is not likely to find a new renter in this economy, so lowball the final rent. Maintenance should be the owner's responsibility. Don't worry about the location. A bad location means lower rent. Have the health dept take a look before you sign for thing that may be out of code that will cost you. Good luck!

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 9:19pm
post #13 of 13

Wow thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%