Stacking Cakes???

Decorating By Mo-Mo73 Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 2:16am by ingy

Mo-Mo73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mo-Mo73 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:35am
post #1 of 15

Have used pillars before to stack layers, but never on top of each other...must dowels always be used to stack?? Would they just stand up if iced, put on cake boards, and just stacked on top of each other?? HELP!! =)

14 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:51am
post #2 of 15

You should ALWAYS use dowels and cakeboards to stack. It's not the cake that supports the upper tiers, but the support system.

Make sure each tier has it's own cake board the same size as the tier. Some use wooden dowels, some use bubble tea straws. I use straws because unlike the dowels they are:

a) easier to cut to size
b) won't absorb moisture from the cake and warp
c) don't displace cake with push into it

I think there's a formula that helps calculate how many to use based on the size of the tier, but too many will make your cake unstable. In a 6" tier, I think I use 4. In an 8" tier I'll use 6 I think.

There's quite a number of posts here on stacking.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:09am
post #3 of 15

You might want to read this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

It is the SPS - which is great.

I personality don't like dowels, they displace the cake, and I have had a couple of disasters because of them. I like bubble tea straws, the cake goes into them and tend to work better for me. If you are stacking straight up, I would also suggest foam core or something other than cardboard. The cardboard absorbs the moisture. HTH thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:11am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Mo73

Have used pillars before to stack layers, but never on top of each other...must dowels always be used to stack?? Would they just stand up if iced, put on cake boards, and just stacked on top of each other?? HELP!! =)

No, you don't always use dowels... it depends on your pillar set-up. If you are using push-in type pillars or SPS, the pillars are the support system because they are pushed all the way down through the cake to the cake's board or plate.

Dowels are required when using a double-plate system. You'd peg your cakes like shown here:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm
and insert the double-plate set up in between the tiers instead of stacking.

I hope I answered your questions... although it's not clear to me exactly what you are asking.

Sugarbearof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbearof3 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:35am
post #5 of 15

I wish I would have read this posting before I made this 3 tiered cake for a baby shower today. I put lollipop sticks on the bottom layer (10'' 8" 6") and I noticed a bulge on the bottom tier. I boxed the cake and got it to the shower opened the box and my heart sank. The bottom layer totally blew out. I was so embarrassed, all my hard work down the drain. The top two laayer were still presentable so I was able to put that on the table and hide the bottom in the fridge. I must buy bubble tea straws NOW icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Karen421 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 15

I am so sorry Sugarbearof3! Lollipop sticks, can absorb moisture, so not always good for stacking, especially 3 tiers. But, no matter which method you choose, don't give up, I guess that is how we learn!! (at least I did ~ the hard way LOL) thumbs_up.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 15

I use SPS and have delivered up to 3 tiers fully assembled. This is while going over bumpy roads, railroad tracks, hills, etc. Very sturdy system! thumbs_up.gif

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 15

Ok -- I must not be reading something right. I don't understand what the hole in the cardboard does?
Nothing get pushed through it right?
Thanks.

Mo-Mo73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mo-Mo73 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 15

thank you all...i actually went on youtube to see a few demos on things i needed a little help with...im gonna practice a few things first before i start with actual customers...=) thanks cakesters...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 15

[quote="funtodecorate2"]Ok -- I must not be reading something right. I don't understand what the hole in the cardboard does?
Nothing get pushed through it right?
Thanks.[/quote]

The peg on the SPS plate goes into the hole.

Which is why you use the peg to *make* the hole in the first place.

Karen421 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 15

It's just a small hole, once you look at the plate it will all be perfectly clear! icon_biggrin.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 15

I just found the link to the Push-in pillar construction:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/push-in-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

ingy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ingy Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 15

bubble tea straws!

i live in british columbia canada (very small town!) where can i purchase these straws? any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Karen421 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 12:33am
post #14 of 15

I get them on ebay. They are pretty cheap, and I think they are called boba straws. thumbs_up.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320534602442&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ingy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ingy Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:16am
post #15 of 15

thank you so much! i really appreciate it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%