Storing Batter Temporarily...

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 11:52pm by Sangriacupcake

AnnieCahill Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 17

I have two 10" pans, one Magic Line, the other Michael's brand (don't judge me, LOL). The Michael's brand sucks beyond belief, so I want to use my one and only Magic Line. Is my cake batter going to be ok on the counter while I wait for my first layer to bake? Or should I store it in the fridge? I've never "held" batter before so I'm not sure what to do in this situation.

Thanks,
AC

16 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:05am
post #2 of 17

Oh heck yah..I leave my batter all the time in between baking etc..I even left it on the counter for over 2 hours one time while I had to run out and get my kid from school when they called and said he was sick...It was fine when I got home....I'm not sure but I think refridgerating might kill the baking powder or something...but I could be wrong!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:16am
post #3 of 17

I agree with Kiddiecakes it won't hurt it to hold it!!!

Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:17am
post #4 of 17

You can also freeze cake batter, so I am imagining that doesn't kill off the baking powder?

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:18am
post #5 of 17

Evoir..Really..I have never done that..It's good to know though....

Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:18am
post #6 of 17

Oh, but I would always let it reach room temperature before putting in an oven, if you do frig or freeze it!!

Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:31am
post #7 of 17

Kiddiecakes - I know some people on CC have mentioned doing it, but I haven't tried it myself. I should have said that up there ^^.

I do think its pretty cool though. I could store all my leftover bits of similar batter for a batch of cupcakes maybe.

Or maybe just continue to bake them right away and let the kids have them, as I seem to do...I'm not quite that organised or economical to do the freezing thing!

wiggler Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:01am
post #8 of 17

I have always been afraid to leave mix out when baking a batch . So delightd to know I can do it . Thanks

AnnieCahill Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 10:43am
post #9 of 17

Ok thanks for all the responses guys! There was no way in hell I was going to use that Michael's pan again. I learned that the hard way with my wedding cake!

Thanks again!

AC

leily Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:11pm
post #10 of 17

to be the devils advocate..... if you're using box mixes i wouldn't hesitate to leave it sitting at room temp or in the fridge (i've done both and no problems)

however if you're making a scratch cake i would not hold it for very long b/c scratch baking is the science of putting the ingredients together and once combined they start a chemical reaction. I don't know what holding scratch cakes does as i've never done it, but maybe someone else has?

AnnieCahill Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 17

Yes it is a scratch cake. It's a lemon buttermilk cake. I wonder if anyone has held scratch batter?

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 17

pshaw. I have been a scratch only baker for 50 years (not a typo) and I hold batter ALL. THE. TIME. No problems.

The only conceivable problem would be if you're using a baking soda ONLY batter. That might go a bit flat, but if it's got baking powder (or combined baking soda and baking powder) in it, it's fine to hold.

I hold mine for several days in the fridge. Don't even bother to let it come to room temp either. Do remix just to get is smoothed out a bit, then throw it in a pan and bake.

AnnieCahill Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 17

Ok this is great news. It's both powder and soda so I think it should be fine.

Woot! Thanks Leah and everyone else for your help.

solascakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:05pm
post #14 of 17

I'm a scratch baker and leave batter all the time everywhere and anywhere,in the frigde,on the counter for hours and its fine.The only time I wasn't happy was when I froze it. Most times my fridge is full of batter and the rest goes on the counter till I have the space,in the oven or frigde. I do notice that cakes that have been in the fridge for a while bake better for me though,and I also read a thread where someone mentioned this as well.

Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 10:45pm
post #15 of 17

Leah - that's interesting that you put your batter straight from the fridge into the oven. Is that possible with pretty much all your cake batters? I am a scratch baker too, but there are several of my recipes I would be hesitant to do that (eg, classic sponge sandwich or any other where I fold in beaten egg white just prior to baking) - not that I have tried it, but also for those like Buddy Valastro's Italian Vanilla Custard cake...he specifies a temperature the batter needs to be before baking. What do you think? Are there any instances where you wouldn't bake cold batter? Sorry if this is a silly question - I am genuinely curious icon_smile.gif

zespri Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 11:24pm
post #16 of 17

That's interesting. I thought that you must put the batter in the fridge to retard the leavening process, or the chemical reaction would happen before you were ready for it.

Which I have been doing, and have noticed that my second cake takes longer to cook, and looks slightly different when compared to the cake which went into the oven straight away. I have taken mine straight from the fridge into the oven, btw. Never thought to bring it to room temp first!

Sangriacupcake Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 11:52pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

pshaw. I have been a scratch only baker for 50 years (not a typo) and I hold batter ALL. THE. TIME. No problems.

The only conceivable problem would be if you're using a baking soda ONLY batter. That might go a bit flat, but if it's got baking powder (or combined baking soda and baking powder) in it, it's fine to hold.

I hold mine for several days in the fridge. Don't even bother to let it come to room temp either. Do remix just to get is smoothed out a bit, then throw it in a pan and bake.

Yippeee! I'm so glad to know this--it's going to make my life a lot easier! Thanks for sharing this with us. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%