Moist Vanilla Cake Out There ... Anywhere?

Baking By chicarivas Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 10:17pm by tigachu

chicarivas Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:13am
post #1 of 6

Hello!
I am on a quest for the perfect vanilla cake that can be used for cupcakes and cakes ... I have found Hersey's Perfect Chocolate Cake, which is absolutely perfect for chocolate cakes, but every vanilla cake I try, it leaning towards the dry side, or they aren't sweet enough ... it's sad to say, but I'm looking for a vanilla cake that resembles a cake mix vanilla cake ...
Anyone have a fool proof recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing?!?
Thank you!

5 replies
JanH Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:19am
post #2 of 6
scp1127 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:01am
post #3 of 6

Why would you want it to resemble a cake mix? I bake moist cakes from scratch, but they don't resemble mixes. If it resembles a mix, you will have gone to all that trouble and people will think it's a mix. Might as well do the mix.

silverdragon997 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:18am
post #4 of 6

Shirley Corriher's Magnificent Moist Golden Cake. My absolute favorite. Google the name, and the recipe will show up.

zespri Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:23am
post #5 of 6

I tried several different vanilla cupcake recpies, then imagenthatnj pointed me towards this recipe:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/project-wedding-cake-the-cake-is-baked/

Look for the 'Vanilla Buttermilk Cake', it's from the sky high book. Ever since then, I have needed no other vanilla cake or cupcake recipe, it's wonderful in either.

tigachu Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 6

I, too love Shirley Corriher's yellow cake! I have not tried doubling the recipe yet. Has anyone tried doubling with great results?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%