Barbwire- Help

Decorating By mandiee Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 1:47am by soledad

mandiee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandiee Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:12am
post #1 of 7

So trying to come up with a better ideas for a POW-MIA cakes that I do at various times thru out the year for their fundraisers and such stuff. In reflecting on their motto and organzation logos I need a way to make "barwire" complete with the barbs(little spike parts). If its just a sheet cake I'll occasionally just pipe it on but was going on out on a limb with the next fundraisers cake and was hoping to take the barwire make it in to a cluster circle and have it standing upright on the cake. However I'm playing hell figuring out how to make it happen. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
yates77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yates77 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:40am
post #2 of 7

I saw an episode of Cake Boss where they made barbed wire out of black string licorice. They tied knots in various places to create the "little spike parts" I don't know if this is what you are thinking but it is the only thing I have seen. Hope this helps!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:56am
post #3 of 7

What about using sugarveil?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:06am
post #4 of 7

I was going to suggest the black licorice too. Maybe I was channeling Buddy. lol

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:41am
post #5 of 7

You could also use modeling chocolate. I bet that would be real easy.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:45am
post #6 of 7

I made barbed wire for a Toy story cake.I took brown fondant and ran it through a clay gun and made strings of spaghetti like strings.Then I broke little pieces off and sort of wrapped them around in spots to make spikes and then layed it out kinda wirey and free to appear like wire.When it dried I airbrushed a bit of orange and brown mixed and some copper to look rusty..It came out good.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:47am
post #7 of 7

mandiee... You are in luck!! icon_biggrin.gif I just found this for you, hope it helps!

this one shows you almost at the end how it was done!
Youtube of horse rach theme cake

CIAO icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%