Help How Do I Price My Cakes????

Decorating By mel33184 Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 1:14pm by leily

mel33184 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 6

I live in NY and want to know how to price my cakes I am clueless ?
So I need help with fondant carved cakes tiered cakes fondant and butter cream and cupcakes. Thanks

5 replies
zespri Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 6

perhaps look at other NY decorators websites and find out how much they charge 'per serve', as that seems to be the way most charge. Unelss of course they are complicated like your carved cakes.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 6

When pricing a cake you always find out how much it costs you to make your cake, ingredients, overhead such as electricity, gas, cleanup supplies, cake boards, boxes insurance, etc. Then you figure out how much you want to make per hour. then you mark it up by 20-30 percent. I would suggest in getting cake boss to help you to price your cakes. I have simplified it alot but it will give you a start.

scp1127 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:43am
post #4 of 6

You price a cake the same way anything is priced in the market. You can make up a price, but that doesn't mean anyone will pay it.

You must know all of your competition... taste as well as price. Be VERY HONEST with yourself and find the price based on where you fit in the market. Now you price all of your expenses, fixed and variable. Subtract your expenses from your price and that is what you have for salary and profit. If it isn't enough, you must up your skills or lower your expenses. If that still does not work, it is not viable. You can price wherever you want. But in the long run, word gets around, and those with the best product for the price will have a larger piece of the pie while others wonder why their business isn't going anywhere.

tryingcake Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:06am
post #5 of 6

I can't tell you how to price your cake, but I can help you figure out the cost.

You (and anyone else) are more than welcome to a copy of my Matrix by emailing me at

[email protected]

I think this is the 4ths post on this subject tonight.

leily Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 6

along with the advice you already received, check out this other topic about pricing. TexasSugar also goes into great detail on how to price product.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%