Astrology Cake

Decorating By rockshell Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 12:27am by DianeLM

rockshell Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 7

My mother-in-law is turning 60 and I have been tasked with making the cake.

I kinda have an idea of what I want to do but don't really have a plan.

She is really into astrology so have some moulds to make suns, moons and stars as well as star cutters but not sure how to put it all together.

When I do a search on here most of the cakes I find are designed for kids and I wanted something a bit more sophisticated but you can't really refine your search from what i see.

Any help would be most appreciated.

6 replies
zespri Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 7

the planet cake cupcakes books have some sophisticated astrology cupcakes in them. Have a look at this link, do a word search for 'zodiac' and you'll seea preview of the page:

http://almostbourdain.blogspot.com/2010/11/panda-baby-cupcake-planet-cake-cupcakes.html

They did a lot of that with an airbrush though, which kinda annoys me as the average person doesn't have an airbrush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockshell

My mother-in-law is turning 60 and I have been tasked with making the cake.

I kinda have an idea of what I want to do but don't really have a plan.

She is really into astrology so have some moulds to make suns, moons and stars as well as star cutters but not sure how to put it all together.

When I do a search on here most of the cakes I find are designed for kids and I wanted something a bit more sophisticated but you can't really refine your search from what i see.

Any help would be most appreciated.

rockshell Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:48am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

They did a lot of that with an airbrush though, which kinda annoys me as the average person doesn't have an airbrush.

Especially in New Zealand where things are ridiculously expensive. I am planning a trip to the states so hope to stock up on lots of stuff.

zespri Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:36am
post #4 of 7

oh, I hadn't realised you were also in NZ! Luck you, going to the states. I have one lovely friend who has sent me stuff from America, but it's quite a hassle for her to do it. Where do you buy most of your NZ stuff from?

rockshell Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 10:43am
post #5 of 7

Mainly from Millys and Spotlight. Have got a few things from other places though. What about you?

AnnieCahill Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 10:57am
post #6 of 7

My good friend is into astronomy and I was going to do the planets on top, and constellations on the side. I don't know how much of astrology involves the planets, but you can definitely do constellations. I was going to ice the cake in a midnight blue and use tiny dragees (white or yellow) to make the constellations. This of course could be accomplished in buttercream or royal icing too.

Good luck!

DianeLM Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 12:27am
post #7 of 7

To refine your search, click on the "Galleries" tab at the top of the page.

Right under the tabs, there are teeny tiny little commands. Click on "search" and fill in your criteria there.

Here's a cake I made for a lady who is into astrology. She also happened to be an aquarius, obviously. icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1572523

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%