Building A Cake Portfolio

Decorating By dst10spr97 Updated 12 Dec 2014 , 9:04pm by babyblue113

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 17

For someone who is looking to build a cake portfolio...other than taking pictures when making cakes for others. Do any of you decorate dummy cakes just to take pictures of them? I have a few friends with older kids with birthday's coming up and I am going to make cakes for them as my gift, so I am going to take pictures then. But I am looking for ways to build up my portfolio. And where can you purchase dummy cakes? Thanks.

16 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 17

I have decorated dummies just to take pictures of. You can start off with plain white, then add ribbon, then add brooch(es), then add fondant cut outs, stencil, etc. You can also do one design on one side, another on the back, since you don't see the whole cake in the photo. So you can take pictures of various styles, having only covered one cake with fondant/buttercream. When you get bored of white, strip the dummies off and do another colour/style.
Search for dummy cakes on here and you will find a couple of companies in the US who ship these. I can't put links up because they are blocked and I got into trouble the other day for spelling one of them out with spaces...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:18am
post #3 of 17

For a visual on starting with a blank cake, adding ribbon, adding flowers, etc.... look for Indydebi's flickr photos. She has her's on there and it's interesting how many different looks you can get just by adding elements one at a time.

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 17

I am going to check it out, thanks.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 17

When I first started putting my portfolio together, that is exactly what I did. Decorate one side of the dummy snap a picture and turn to decorate the back a different way. This gets you 2 different looks/pictures with one cake. Remove one of the tiers and get a completely different look. I sometimes pull my dummy back out to try new techniques. No cake to waste!

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

For a visual on starting with a blank cake, adding ribbon, adding flowers, etc.... look for Indydebi's flickr photos. She has her's on there and it's interesting how many different looks you can get just by adding elements one at a time.

I looked for "Indydebi's flickr photos" but couldn't find? icon_sad.gif can someone help?

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 17

Can cake dummy's be covered in BC?

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 17

To see Indydebi's flickr page, just go to her profile. Then at the bottom you'll see links to different things. Her flickr page is one of them. If you still can't find it, i'm sure you could pm message her. She is SOOO funny!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 17

If you are decorating dummy cakes just for photo purposes attach any fondant or gumpaste pieces with some shortening rather than a liquid. They will easily peel off and you can start again with a new design.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 12:14am
post #10 of 17

I think it's Daisy's Pink Center Cake. Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/3557930383/

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 12:32am
post #11 of 17

Dallas Foam in the US has great dummies and cheap. Got a whole set of 4" tall rounds for about $13 and they ship pretty fast too.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 12:45am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkkeeMunkkee

in the US has great dummies and cheap. Got a whole set of 4" tall rounds for about $13 and they ship pretty fast too.

Cc blocked the link icon_sad.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 17

Dallas. Foam. That's the name of the place (remove the . in between) Sorry guys, I was just trying to help.

SSJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSJen Posted 28 May 2014 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 17

I'm wondering about the actual putting together of the portfolio. Do you all think it's better to use digital media or a hard paper copy of your work? I have lots of cake photos but I'm uncertain what medium would be more appealing to my clients and potential clients. Any advice?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 28 May 2014 , 11:27pm
post #15 of 17

I'd probably make a Shutterfly or Snapfish book for your coffee table. Something for people to flip thru while they're meeting with you. Pretty inexpensive too.

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 17

I bought the styrafoam dummy cakes from Joann Fabrics and I decorate them all the time. They're pretty cheap. 

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 9:04pm
post #17 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I'd probably make a Shutterfly or Snapfish book for your coffee table. Something for people to flip thru while they're meeting with you. Pretty inexpensive too.

good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%