"cleaning" 2D Fondant Pieces - Need Help Asap!

Decorating By Manderly42 Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 5:58pm by cole10

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 6

I made some 2D trees to put in the sides of a cake, but when they dried, you can still see a lot of corn starchy spots! Is there a way to clean them up? I also wanted to write messages on them with edible marker, so my thought on brushing them with shortening doesn't seem like a good idea.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!!!

5 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 6

Steaming the pieces should eliminate the cornstarch residue, (don't over steam, or they will become sticky) let them dry, then you can write on them.

You can also sometimes brush it off using a dry brush.

HTH icon_smile.gif

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 6

Brush them with vodka (or everclear) and they will dry really quick. You could also use an alcohol based lemon extract.

Manderly42 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 6

I've never tried steaming - although I should. I need these pieces for tonight, though, so I will try the dry brush method and save the steaming for another time. I don't have extras (poor planning on my part!)

Thank you!

Manderly42 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwtCanuck

Brush them with vodka (or everclear) and they will dry really quick. You could also use an alcohol based lemon extract.

Ooh - I might try that...

Thanks!

cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 6

Just get a soft sponge and lightly dust it. It works wonders. I use the one that is made to form flowers. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%