Approached To Sell Wholesale

Decorating By justalilsomething Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 2:28am by Evoir

justalilsomething Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justalilsomething Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 10

I have been approached to sell wholesale (cakepops & caketruffles) is a 70/30 split good or should it be more in my favor like 80/20 or even 90/10? What's appropriate?

9 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 10

Is this to sell in a shop on consignment? That isn't wholesale, it's totally different, and you could be stucxk with a lot of unsold product.

If I was going to do something like that with a store I'd sell it outright to them at the price I'd sell it for usually, or with a SLIGHT discount since it would be a standing order. They'd be able to price it at anything they wanted after that, but I wouldn't stick product in someone's store and have them expect to give me back anything they didn't sell.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

.... but I wouldn't stick product in someone's store and have them expect to give me back anything they didn't sell.

totally agree. You are taking all (!) of the risk. they are getting part of the profit.

justalilsomething Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justalilsomething Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 10

Oh, no,no,no....it's a person that sells on Etsy I think, it's on the web. She would pay for product and shipping before hand, place the order and sell it for what I sell it at full price but I would get 70% up front at order.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:31am
post #5 of 10

In that case, why don't you just set up an Etsy shop yourself and take 95% of the profit after fees? It's free and takes about 20 minutes to set everything up. Having someone else do it makes no sense financially unless you're really bad at shipping packages!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:01am
post #6 of 10

Hmmm...I agree with Debi and Costumeczar icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:07am
post #7 of 10

Curious, what is Etsy? Is it like Ebay?

Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:16am
post #8 of 10

Google it - its arts and crafts sold by individuals online.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:24am
post #9 of 10

You have to have an FDA approved kitchen to sell online. Local approval is not enough to sell interstate or worldwide. Check with your Dept of Ag.

Wholesale has more requirements also.

Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:28am
post #10 of 10

Yep - in Oz there are taxation/GST requirements for selling wholesale.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%