Can You Use Ganache Under Buttercream?

Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm by Sangriacupcake

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 7

I have a square wedding cake coming up and to get crisp corners on my square cake, I like to use ganache. However, the bride requested buttercream, not fondant. So my question is, can I cover a cake in ganache and then in buttercream? Is there anything I need to do to prep the ganache to make sure the buttercream will stick? Thanks in advance for your help!

6 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 7

You might as well skip the ganache. Your stated reason for liking it is crisp corners, and since the buttercream would be going over the top, it negates that reason. It's possible to get crisp corners with buttercream as well if you use a bench scraper. Just make sure you refrigerate it for a while after covering it in buttercream. The butter will harden up in the fridge, and your edges will stay sharp while you decorate.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:04am
post #3 of 7

I viewed some of your pic's and your buttercream is perfect on your round cakes..?? There is no difference with corners, just make sure you add more than you need at the corners so that when you go to smooth them out you can remove excess icing and still have enough on the cake. Try starting in the center of the cake side and work towards the corner. Your work is lovely!

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:12am
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your help! I have done square cakes in buttercream, and it just seems that my corners fall apart while smoothing. I just found that doing them in ganache solved my problem! I guess it's just practice, practice, practice!

Thank you cakesnglass for your lovely compliment! I'm still new at this and it means a lot!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #5 of 7

What I have found helps when building up my corners is to put my bench scraper up against the corner of the cake sticking out paste the cake and then using a spatula with icing on it...pull the spatula across the bench scraper until the corner is built up. Oh...I don't know how to say what I mean...check out this video...

. It will help a lot.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 7

It helps to crumb coat, then put the cake in the freezer for 30 min to firm up. Icing around those corners is so much easier when they're firm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%