leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:29am
post #1 of 24

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

23 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:30am
post #2 of 24

Back a little bit ago from yet another wedding show. 3 done, 2 to go. Maybe 3 to go. I might have agreed to do another one tonight . . .

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:36am
post #3 of 24

This is my slow season so there's not much to do but display cakes. Finished one yesterday that I put up here. Working on the roses for a second one and had to stop when the hands started hurting. I'll get back on them tomorrow since I need 36 of them. I did make a cake today...for my own family who were complaining that there wasn't any real cake in the house! LOL! Next real cake is cupcakes for a friends birthday next week and then not another one till Oscars! This is going to be a light Spring for me...my youngest daughter has her first baby on the way and I'm going on a trip to Europe...a total of a month away from work...both works. So while I do have two baby shower cakes coming up I'm not booking anything till June. We had to take a step back on the busines this year...I'll start to ramp it up again this summer.

Cat

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #4 of 24

Valentines choc pops and candy. Have to get started because this week and next I had to take a break from cakes for the GS cookie sale. I did make a couple of giant cookie cakes. ,,, giant thin mint cake and giant sandwich cookie cake using the Nordic Ware pans.

tesh_diggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesh_diggins Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:42am
post #5 of 24

Not working on anything this week. I'm doing an Eastern Star cake for next Saturday, figure that I'll start on it on Monday. Thinking about playing with some new cupcake recipes. Thank God for slow months, between caking and my "real" job, I hardly have any time off.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #6 of 24

Time off? I've heard of that . . .

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:50am
post #7 of 24

I don't have anything this weekend icon_sad.gif but I am wondering if there is such a thing as an iridescent airbrush spray? or if it's a product that is a powder to mix with vodka to spray on a cake.

tesh_diggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesh_diggins Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:51am
post #8 of 24

LOL @ Leah. It is very rare around these parts too. Luckily, I'm selling more Mary Kay this year for Valentines, so I'm not doing as many cupcakes. I think I only have a couple dozen for that week so I can rest a little.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:54am
post #9 of 24

Evening FNCC!

I'm still working. My 3YO's birthday party is tomorrow and I have his cake to finish. I was a basket case over what to make for his mid-winter luau. Too many ideas=too much stress. Finally got a great Tiki cake suggestion from someone here on CC. The tiki and the base cake are done so I just need to stack them and add some little decorative elements.

Finished a small, super simple birthday cake for a girlfriend that she picked up after school. Reports are that it is already half-gone.

1 question/crisis:

I totally botched the tinting on a batch of "sand" colored BC. It is way more flesh-colored than creamy/sand. Any way I can darken it so I can use it for the cupcakes? I would rather not have to make a new batch of BC.

Should I just dump a bunch of Americolor choco brown in it and see what happens? It seems to get more orangey when I add that.

Kristy

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:01am
post #10 of 24

Finished a Pixar Luxo lamp cake as much as I can for now. It's my first time using lights in a cake. the lamp is 3D and I can't attach the shade to it until just before serving- in case we miscalculated how much weight the structure will handle.

Next up: 100 cake truffles for the 3rd and Valentine cookies.

I made banana cake this week using the recipe on here (using the Carrot Cake or Banana Cake recipe on here). I used some of the batter for cupcakes and the grease soaked through the wrapper bottoms. Does anyone know how I can prevent this or alter the recipe to keep it from happening? The cupcakes got rave reviews, but I don't like sending them out with greasy butts. icon_smile.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:03am
post #11 of 24

Hey, Tesh, I need some Mary Kay.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:13am
post #12 of 24

Did I huge dessert display with cake, cake pops and cookies this morning for a retirement party. Got 2.5 hours of sleep last night. Still have to bake 100 brownie bites, 100 cake pops, 100 cupcakes, chocolate strawberries, hot chocolate sticks, marshmallows, chocolate dipped rice krispies, chocolate pretzels, dessert shot glasses and mini cakes for the chocolate festival on sunday. plus a birthday cake for my lil bro......soooo its gonna be a long weekend lol send cake prayers my way, I will need them!

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:22am
post #13 of 24

I have a couple of things going on this weekend. My very first wedding cake tasting is Sunday! I started on my son's birthday cake today (football themed cake for next weekend) and I'm using the extra batter to make the cake for the tasting. I'll finish up the last flavor and filling tomorrow. Wedding cakes are a whole different ball game! I've been working hard the last couple of weeks trying to make sure I know what I'm doing going into the tasting. Wish me luck!

Michelle

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:26am
post #14 of 24

I colored a bunch of fondant orange and hot pink for a competition cake I'm working on. I also covered one of my cakeboards with some of the orange. Now my hands are stained and my arms are tired from the kneading and rolling icon_smile.gif.

KJ62798 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:40am
post #15 of 24

Tiki Cake is done!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1925015

Now I have to figure out what to do about the BC for the cupcakes. Try to make it darker or start over?

Kristy

cheatize Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:08am
post #16 of 24

Can you take a bit of the sand and mix in cocoa powder to make it darker?

KJ62798 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:13am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Can you take a bit of the sand and mix in cocoa powder to make it darker?

Hmmmm...I have some chocolate BC. I wonder if I mix that and some cocoa powder in if I can get a light chocolate bc taste/color.

Do you think that would work?

The cuppies are vanilla so choco frosting is OK.

Kristy

cheatize Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:22am
post #18 of 24

Hmm, my son is a graphic designer so I asked him what color offsets flesh. He said you need to add more yellows and green to get to sand color because that means there's too much red. If you have a bit of icing to spare, you can try adding cocoa to a little and then adding yellow and/or green to another bit.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:45am
post #19 of 24

Working on a cake of books for my son's teachers as a thanks you for their dedication and hard work. icon_smile.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:57am
post #20 of 24

I just finished a three tier birthday cake...I think? The costumer only wants a name written on it so I'm really not sure...also odd is they want the girls first, middle and last name, just seems weird. I only call my kids by their first,middle and last name if they are in big trouble!
It's a pink, black, white, zebra stripe type design. I can't wait for the morning sun to rise so I can take a picture and show you all! icon_smile.gif

KJ62798 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 6:12am
post #21 of 24

So.....I mixed all the different variations of "sand" BC together with the remaining chocolate BC and the 1/4c or so of cocoa powder I had left. The result is a mocha/tan color w/a light chocolate flavor.

My older kids gave it 2 thumbs up. I have some cookies & cream sprinkles that I can put on the cuppies. They are defrosting now and I have a fruit tray left to assemble. Everything else is good to go for the 10AM party.

Kristy

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 6:24am
post #22 of 24

Good Evening fellow bakers:

I'm currently working on a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake for my son he turns 2 on Sunday and is just crazy about Mickey. I hope this comes out good. It's just for family but anyhow I want it to be extra special he is not getting a party my dad gets surgery tuesday so we don't want to create big exitment.

This will sadly also be my last cake (till further notice) I do all my baking here at my moms coffee shop but as of Feb 3rd. She rented the business and will no longer be able to bake here ;0(

I have to get a new oven the one at home is no good. Eventually I plan on asking the new owner for permission but I doubt it ;for I bake at night.

Anyhow I just talked about everything but cake huh lol !!!

well good luck with all your projects tonight

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 8:35am
post #23 of 24

so i think i missed everyone else tonight, but it's about 2:30am and i'm up and working again. Last night i delivered 4 8" cakes and 6 cookie boquets to an American Cancer Society fundraiser. Now i'm working on baking some 6" cakes for an order to be picked up in... oh 11 hours and counting icon_smile.gif

Also, up with my little one who came down with a bad cough yesterday... looks like a trip to the dr in the morning so will be up until these last two cakes are done tonight not knowing what tomorrow morning at the dr will bring.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:58pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayerim979

Good Evening fellow bakers:

I'm currently working on a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake This will sadly also be my last cake (till further notice) I do all my baking here at my moms coffee shop but as of Feb 3rd. She rented the business and will no longer be able to bake here ;0(

I can't wait to see the MM Clubhouse cake...I love Disney and Mickey so I'll certainly be looking for this one<G>
As for your business...my own took a severe break this year too but I'm looking at it this way. I'm using the time off to make up display cakes (thus keeping my art going and practicing new techniques) and I figure that my talent isnt' going anywhere and I can alway learn new things and the business side will still be there when I get back. Same for you. You can decorate dummies at home and prepare for a time when you can find another avenue to working in another kitchen, whether thats a rental or someone you meet along the way. Keep faith, keep working on your skills...then when it's time for the business you will be even better at your craft!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%