What To Put Between Cake And Fondant ?

Decorating By wiggler Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 9:57pm by wiggler

wiggler Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #1 of 7

Hey , Im new to this . For fruit cakes I normally use marzipan under fondant for a smooth finish . I want to make a white cake with raspberry filling . The taste of marzipan is too strong for this . Do I just use buttercream and wait for it to dry a bit , or can I use modeling chocolate ?
Please reply ! I know this is probably a very basic question but I am a newbie !
Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
birdlady9771 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:44am
post #2 of 7

You can use buttercream, ganache or any other type of icing/frosting - except whipped cream. Have Fun!

cakesrock Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 7

I generally use BC and get it as smooth as possible. Sugarshack's videos will help you acheive that. But ganache is nice too for a change and you get a very smooth finish.
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

cakesrock Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 7

PS: you don't have to wait for BC to dry, but you can use a crusting recipe (Sugarshack's - in recipes on CC). Good luck!

wiggler Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys for all the help ! icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 7

I second the ganache...it sets up really nicely and is a great surface for covering with fondant. Ganache is also easy to get really smooth with sharp edges. A white chocolate ganache would go well with your white cake & raspberry filling.

wiggler Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 7

Thats great thanks . Think I will go with white chocolate ganache .
Coral3 , your cakes are amazing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%