Making A Grooms Cake How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By izlandgrl Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 3:11am by hopi

izlandgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izlandgrl Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 6

I was asked to make a gromms cake for a coworker. She said she would pay me, so I have no idea what to charge for the cake. It will be a bass fish that looks like it is jumping out of the cake. So it will be some detailed work. I have made several cakes for birthdays showers and 1 wedding cake, but i never charged anyone they are usually my gift. So how much should I charge? icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 6

This is a very simple response.
This, like most $ questions has lots of variables. You could call around to your local bakeries and see what they go for in your area.
In my area buttercream cakes average around 3$ a serving 4$ serving for fondant, 6$ serving for sculpted cakes. If your skills are as good as a professional baker then charge the same if not charge less. Just don't undercut them so badly that you piss them off. If you are not licensed I would recommend you do it for price of ingredients and just use it for more practice, or trade it for services. If someone turns you in you could get a fine, more likely a warning. This lousy economy is hurting businesses and I think you could be taking a risk by doing this without license.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 6

cakes like that are charged more for the talent and the time than they are for the number of servings. What's the value of your talent? How much time (TOTAL time!) will you have invested in this?

izlandgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izlandgrl Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your reply. No I am not licensed so thats why I have never charged anyone. I will probably do it at cost as a favor! Mybe one day I could go Pro! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 6

You do realise that doing it "at cost" is still charging right?

hopi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopi Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:11am
post #6 of 6

I wouldn't NOT charge simply because U R not licensed. If you were approached then you should be compensated in some way. Time is of value.... licensed or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%