Please Helllpppp

Baking By kneenah Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 6:08pm by sweetnessx3

kneenah Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 19

I just started making Fondant cakes. I think its so much fun and i want to start doing it for side cash... My first cake was good.. I make the cake from scratch. I used boxed fondant. My cake looked sooo cute. NOW.. ive made 4 cakes after and it did not come out the same.. I am making MM fondant and ive notice my fondant is too soft.. Ive also been making the cakes from box and they also soooo soft making it hard to put the icing on.. I really like making cakes but getting descouraged..please help i need tips on both what cakes are not too soft and how to make my MM fondant easy to work with icon_redface.gif

18 replies
debbief Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 19

How soon after you make the mmf do you let it set? If you don't let it set long enough...several hours or over night, that could be the problem. Also, you may try adding more ps if it's too soft. Another thing to try is after rolling it out, let it sit for a bit before covering the cake. That may help it firm up a little too.

As for the cake, try chilling it for awhile before adding the fondant. That makes it firmer. Also, I've been using ganache under my fondant lately and it helps make the cake very firm and sturdy. hth

jenscreativity Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 19

OH WOW!! Ganache is not only for the smooth look under fondant but also for making moist cake sturdier?? That's a great tip if that's the case b/c I'm having a problem tiered cakes that are super moist, yet love my recipes for them. Let me know! ALso, on the fondant, I am FAST with getting on cake once rolled out,,so maybe that is why it tears sooo easily once applied to cake..so for now on, I will let my fondant set a minute before applying..GREAT TIP also! I love this site!

kneenah, welcome to lots of fun! YET, LOTS OF practice too! I"m wanting to perfect my cakes too but I have to practice A LOT and also this site has been amazingly help to me along the 5 yrs I"ve been doing this! One advice I can give you about MMF is PRACTICE< PRACTICE! This fondant is quite a technique that takes a lot of practice..but I learned to let fondant sit overnight, and that helps. I also learned to add gylcerine to it to make it more flexible and managment for flaws on fondant..like if my fondant tears while applying to cake,,the gylcrine amazingly help me gather the fondant together to cover those tears by a little crisco and rubbing on the area! I just started using gylcerine and WOW, what a difference of working with MMF now! So much easier!!

sweetnessx3 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 19

Jenscreativity, Ive never heard of using gylcerine in my mmf.... I have noticed I bought some boxed fondant bc I didnt have time to make my mmf and when I went to tear off some of the wilton fondant it was so stretchy ....WOW... my mmf usually tears apart really easy and isnt flexable much at all ...

What makes the wilton fondant so stretchy ...is it the gylcerine ? What is Gylcerine ?

cakesnglass Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 19

I add 2 full tsps. of Karo syrup to my melted marshmallows plus flavorings of choice before adding the powdered sugar. I find it's more pliable to work with once I let the fondant sit overnight. When ready to use I zap it a few sec's in the micro and roll out.

jenscreativity Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 19

sweetnessx3: Ok, yeah,,it comes in a tiny btl ranging about $3,,so this stuff is sooo amazing that it makes me look forward to making MMF for now on! This gyclerine is an elasticity agent and it's liquid form. It comes out like corn syrup AND>.............. I also ALWAYS add karo syrup to my MMF ALSO..but that alone didn't do much for me like the gyclerine does. I just started using this last week for first time!!

Once you make your MMF and add all of your ingred. INCLUDING karo syrup,,knead dough together and THEN add LESS THAN a pea size to your batter..like a tiny pebble size. NOT MUCH..you don't need much..it incorporates very easily!! THen after, knead the agent in a little more until you are happy with your mix. I store my fondant in plastic bag ahead of time MOST of the time,,but sometimes, I can't soo, it's OK.....

VERY IMPT TIP USING GYLCERINE THOUGH!! Make sure you don't roll out MMF TOO thin for cakes, and not too thick either(weight)..if it's too thin, it will tear up a little easier,,but this stuff does maracles for your flaws!!

You can buy this anywhere like cake supply stores. if you have used fonderific fondant before, then this is A LOT like that texture once added.

jenscreativity Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:13am
post #7 of 19

also, you don't need to microwave MMF as much anymore!

Bettyviolet101 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:57am
post #8 of 19

I will never use mm fondant after I found this recipe. mm fondant is stretchy and doesn't taste good. This is much tastier and has MUCH better consistency. Don't let the instructions scare you its easy! A little time consuming but not too bad!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rolled-Fondant/Detail.aspx

jenscreativity Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:26am
post #9 of 19

I'll have to try this recipe sometime too,,but again, as mentioned before,,MMF takes practice,,but if you work with it, you will get the consistency you want..it's all a matter of patience. I've been making it for 5 yrs. and to know gylcerine has done great for me,,,my job is MUCH easier with less worries of having flaws..that I can fix now..It's up to you how you want to make it.

I like the taste of MY MMF because I had a lot of butter ext/van. ext., some lemon juice and corn syrup...so it doesn't have the marshmallowly taste so much but it's all about preference more of.

Bettyviolet101 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:14am
post #10 of 19

Oh also something really nice about that recipe up above is that it is not chewy. It melts in your mouth so its a lot more like a type of frosting. I <3 it!

pattycakesnj Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:42am
post #11 of 19

bettyviolet, that recipe looks a lot like MFF, which I make all the time and is great. Only difference is MFF has butter instead of shortening and corn syrup instead of glucose and I add some white chocolate chips.
sweetnessx3, you can buy a large, large bottle of gylcerine at most health food stores for about $7, much cheaper than the tiny, tiny bottle at cake decorating stores for $3

cakesnglass Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:42am
post #12 of 19

Bettyviolet101, thnks for recipe, will try. I just made some MMF so I will try the glycerine too..Thnks!!

jenscreativity Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:49am
post #13 of 19

REMEMBER,,JUST A TINY BIT IS ALL YOU NEED IN YOUR MMF!

cabecakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:11am
post #14 of 19

It's funny that the recipes would taste all that different, since the ingredients are basically the same. marshmallows contain sugar, glycerin, and glucose which is basically the same thing the recipe above calls for. Check out this recipe for marshmallows from Alton Brown http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html. I love my marshmallow fondant and will continue to use it. The biggest thing is to make it in advance. Don't try to make it the same day you want to use it. I just put mine in freezer bags and pop it in the freezer in various colors. When I need a color, I pull it out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it enough to knead it. So super easy. I don't like the flavor or texture of store bought fondant. You can usually only get Wilton's fondant around here, so I just prefer to make my own.

kneenah Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:56am
post #15 of 19

thanks, for the tips.. i cant wait to try them.. I promised myself not to make another cake till march when i take the class on fondant but you guys have to excited to try again. Making cakes really takes practice. I am so happy to find this site cuz i dont know anyone that does cakes so my questions are never answered...

What do ya suggest about the cakes.. should i make it from scratch?

mommynana Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 8:08am
post #16 of 19

cabecakes, where is ur post on putting on fondant on a squre cake? please

sweetnessx3 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:59pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

I'll have to try this recipe sometime too,,but again, as mentioned before,,MMF takes practice,,but if you work with it, you will get the consistency you want..it's all a matter of patience. I've been making it for 5 yrs. and to know gylcerine has done great for me,,,my job is MUCH easier with less worries of having flaws..that I can fix now..It's up to you how you want to make it.

I like the taste of MY MMF because I had a lot of butter ext/van. ext., some lemon juice and corn syrup...so it doesn't have the marshmallowly taste so much but it's all about preference more of.

Thank you for all you information , Im going to definitely try this icon_smile.gif

sweetnessx3 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:01pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

bettyviolet, that recipe looks a lot like MFF, which I make all the time and is great. Only difference is MFF has butter instead of shortening and corn syrup instead of glucose and I add some white chocolate chips.
sweetnessx3, you can buy a large, large bottle of gylcerine at most health food stores for about $7, much cheaper than the tiny, tiny bottle at cake decorating stores for $3

Thank you for the tip icon_smile.gif

sweetnessx3 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:08pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneenah

thanks, for the tips.. i cant wait to try them.. I promised myself not to make another cake till march when i take the class on fondant but you guys have to excited to try again. Making cakes really takes practice. I am so happy to find this site cuz i dont know anyone that does cakes so my questions are never answered...

What do ya suggest about the cakes.. should i make it from scratch?

I use Duncan hines cake mix , Sometime I doctor the mixes ... but Im really nervous about the really moist scratch cakes because of stability .. Then some of the scratch cakes are dry... ppl are so use to the mixes they think scratch cakes are dry now .... Just my opinion ,,,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%