Occasional Cake Serving Sizes

Decorating By nhbaker Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 12:38pm by indydebi

nhbaker Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone use a particular guide when figuring cakes sizes/number of servings for anything other than wedding cakes?

I use Earlene's for my wedding cakes but not sure that's enough cake servings for birthday cakes, etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 5

I use Wilton's Wedding serving guide (1x2x4) for every cake I do.

1. I'm only dealing with one set of numbers, so I don't have to remember the difference.

2. If you have a larger serving size you also need a larger price per serving or you are giving away free cake when you do birthdays and have to explain to wedding people why their cakes are higher priced.

3. If someone wants more servings, they can pay for them. Personally I don't think everything in the world has to be jumbo sized. It's a current pet peeve when a large drink from fast food places doesn't fit easily in to cup holders and you can't easily carry it in just one hand.

leily Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 9:02am
post #3 of 5

i use the same as TexasSugar. I use one chart for ALL my cakes. I tell my customers what the serving size is, if they want larger servings then they order more cake from me.

As indydebi uses the KFC chicken example alot (although i'm sure i'll botch it up somehow). They determined their serving size for a meal is two pieces of chicken, if you usually eat 4 pcs, then you have to order two meals, they aren't going to put in two more pieces of chicken b/c you eat 4 pieces.

cabecakes Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 9:45am
post #4 of 5

I am with Texas Sugar. This is a nice portion of cake, although I am sure someone will disagree. But, hey, they can just eat two if they want.

indydebi Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 5

ya dun good, leily!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

My daughter and I baked a single layer 10" cake and ate the whole thing watching tv one night. Should someone get that cake for $6 since "we plan to serve 2" from it? Of course not.

Campbell's soup says their small cans of soup are 2.5 servings. In a pig's eye!!!! Do I get a bigger can of soup for the same price simply because I drink my soup from a BIG cup? Of course not. Do I get to determine what a serving of soup is for the price they are charging? Of course not.

I would tell people that a 10", 2-layer, would serve 25-35 people. They can cut it any dang way they want but they are PAYING for 35 servings, which is the rounded-to-the-nearest-5 wilton wedding serving number.

You tell them how many servings and that its based on a 1x2x4" serving ..... "about the size of a folded over peanut butter sandwich". To those who have told me, "Oh, we eat way bigger pieces than that!" I tell them, "Oh .... then you'll need to order a bigger cake, then. Your price for THAT cake will be ......."

Quote by @%username% on %date%