Football Huddle Cake

Decorating By ClareBear66 Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm by ClareBear66

ClareBear66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClareBear66 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 11

Hi
I have searched the site & cant find anything relating to this, but apologies if it has been asked already!
I have been asked to do a football huddle cake, it will be a 8inch circle cake with the cake huddle football figures on top
the figures will be made out of gumpaste, but my question is does anyone have a suggestion on what to put up the middle or how to attach them to the cake securely?

Any help would be much appreciated
thanks
Clare

10 replies
MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Clare,

I nearly made one of these this weekend for my FIL's birthday, as he's a Celtic fan, but I'm feeling lazy this week, so decided on the Carol Deacon armchair cake instead! I'm working on it right now.

What I had planned to do with the figures for the huddle cake, was to insert toothpicks/cocktail sticks into each leg, which would attatch it then to the body more securely, and to insert one into each torso also, straight into the chest, and push the body into the cake, being careful not to push the stick the whole way through the body.Then the heads and arms would be supported on the top edge of the cake itself. Does that make any sense?

You'd of course have to make sure the recipient of the cake was well aware of the cocktail sticks/toothpicks for safety reasons.

Mama D

ClareBear66 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks Mama D

Its acutally a Celtic cake I have to do aswell!
I am starting it tonight & have a couple of packets of cocktail sticks at the ready

thanks a mil
Clare

MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 11

Good luck!! I hope it goes well for you, please let me know if you pick up any different tips as you go!

Mama D

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 11

as soon as i read the op's post, i thought what if you bake a mini-doll cake and put that on top of the cake, leaning all the figures against it? this will only work if you don't mind not being able to "see through" the huddle. maybe as a back-up plan? hth!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 11

Before they dry too much, stick them in styrofoam in the position you need. I'm guessing you're going to have to lean them on each other to get them to stay upright and look like they are huddling.

Scotch__Mist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scotch__Mist Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 11

Hi,

I made one of these a few months ago, it was celtic too.

I made the bodies (except arms) from gumpaste in advance letting them dry leaning slightly leaning over a tub. TBH I didn't really think about the middle until the last minute! A small cake would be good but I ended up covering a small tub in the same green fondant as the cake. I placed this on a 5" cake board and then glued the figures around the edge, placing the arms on as I went.

It worked out quite well as it meant the whole huddle could be taken off before the cake was cut.

Pictures are on my profile.

Bit long winded but hope that helps.

Pamela x

cheatize Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:12am
post #8 of 11

FYI for those of us in the U.S.: Scotch_Mist is referring to her soccer cake. It took me a second to find it. lol

Scotch__Mist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scotch__Mist Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 11

Oops, sorry icon_redface.gif

cheatize Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 11

Naw, no need to be sorry. It's our American brains that sometimes tend to think only of American wording. It's all good. icon_smile.gif

ClareBear66 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks so much for all your help

I ended up taking a bit of advice from all of them
I unfortunately dont have a cake doll mould to use as the basic shape so my solutions was;

Make the figures in advance out of gumpaste & fondant, leaning them slightly around a christmas pudding container I had left over to help shape them
Before they fully dried, I placed them on a small cake circle covered in the same fondant as the 8" circle cake
When I had finished, they were quite weighty, so I placed a dowel underneath for support before placing it on the cake

I have just finished putting it all together for delivery tomorrow, I think it turned out well, hopefully the customer will too

I will try & get the photos uploaded soon

Thanks for all your advice, I didnt know where to start

Ta
Clare

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%