Cake Servings/sizes

Decorating By ktoothgirl Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 9:04am by leily

ktoothgirl Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:50am
post #1 of 5

I am just starting out my cake business and am so confused on what to tell people how many people a cake will serve

When I look online to get an estimate, it varies so much!

I just want something once and for all that I feel comfortable telling people and that doesn't make a tiny slice for serving size!

I need servings for:

8 inch round
10 inch round
12 inch round
14 inch round

1/4 sheet,
1/2 sheet
full sheet

Thats all for now, if someone could help me with this it would be much appreciated

4 replies
Cakechick123 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:04am
post #2 of 5

the standard seems to be wiltons chart, but if you like bigger slices then Earlenes chart is usefull.

When I started off I used earlenes, the wilton chart just looked as if those will be minute slices. Then I had customers tell me they had leftovers.

As someone else on here said, I was giving cake away for free. Now I work on the wilton chart, and tell the customer on the order form how big the slices should be cut. They are free to order a bigger cake if they want bigger pieces

CWR41 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:27am
post #3 of 5

Here's the Wilton chart for industry standard 8 cu. in. servings... one-layer servings = 2" x 2" x 2", or two-layer servings = 1" x 2" x 4":

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 9:06am
post #4 of 5

and here are photos showing that a 1x2x4" piece of cake is not dinky OR paper thin:

leily Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 9:04am
post #5 of 5
Originally Posted by indydebi

and here are photos showing that a 1x2x4" piece of cake is not dinky OR paper thin:

and i've been to MANY party's (kids, adults, office etc...) and 95% of the pieces are cut to the 1"x2"x4" or 2"x2"x2" so it's a very good size. (and it's cake civilians cutting the cake up) People get caught up on the numbers and don't think of the actual size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%