Is It Rude Not To Serve The Cake To Your Guests ?

Lounge By jules06 Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 7:43pm by JulieMN

jules06 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:23am
post #1 of 13

Personally, I think it is rude !
I made a 2 tier cake for my friend K, for her sons' christening a little while ago - it was a brunch affair & she had cocktail food provided for about 90 guests.

The cake was displayed on the table,everyone was oohing & aahing over it and after maybe a couple of hours, she made a speech then thanked me for the cake & said " we'll be cutting it up soon" .

An hour or 2 later, still hadn't cut it ! Some people were delaying their departure because they wanted some cake - so I asked K when she was going to cut it up . " Oh, I'm not going to now, everybody is probably way to full & there is sooo much cocktail food leftover. Hubby will take half of it to his work tomorrow - the staff will love it ! & I'll just freeze the rest."

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_cry.gif
Am I too oversensitive ? Some people ( inc. myself ! ) did want cake !!
I know it's her cake and she can do whatever she wants with it...but really??

12 replies
JanH Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:28am
post #2 of 13

If she were my friend, I would have mentioned that I had saved room for dessert, and then offered to cut and serve it to the other guests. Because I was going to cut a piece for myself anyway.... icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

tryingcake Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:31am
post #3 of 13

So nice of her to decide what everyone else wanted. How pleasant!

jules06 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:57am
post #4 of 13

Jan, I had saved room for cake ! I wasn't particularly interested in the bland cocktail food icon_razz.gif
I felt like she was saying that the staff her hubby works with deserved the cake more than her guests ! icon_cool.gif

JanH Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 7:11am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules06

I felt like she was saying that the staff her hubby works with deserved the cake more than her guests ! icon_cool.gif




That's what I was thinking....

That and are his office co-workers all gifting the baby (to deserve a slice of freshly made, custom decorated christening cake).

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 9:04am
post #6 of 13

"Oh let me help you out, here!" (pick up knife, turn to face all the guests, then loudly ask) "Who's ready for cake!!!!????" icon_biggrin.gif

but then .... that's just me! icon_twisted.gif

emrldsky Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 10:32am
post #7 of 13

So, there was cat sitting out, and guests were lingering...and none was served?

Pfffft, I'd be pretty upset. In fact, at this stage of my pregnancy, I'm likely to CRY about not getting cake when I wanted some. icon_wink.gif

You're right...it was rude!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules06

Jan, I had saved room for cake ! I wasn't particularly interested in the bland cocktail food icon_razz.gif
I felt like she was saying that the staff her hubby works with deserved the cake more than her guests ! icon_cool.gif




Maybe she had decided the cake would be easier to pass around and get eaten then left over cocktail food and she didn't want left overs there.

I'm not sure what I would have done, but cakes around us, get eaten. icon_smile.gif After it is cut and we have had all we can eat, does it get sent to work for others.

KathysCC Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 13

This thread also covers this subject in detail

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694502.html

jules06 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:59am
post #10 of 13

In hindsight Debi, I should have done that !! I think she was worried about having cake leftover ( maybe she should have served it when ALL the guests were still there!! ) but I can't see how that would be a problem ! icon_biggrin.gif

tryingcake Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 2:02am
post #11 of 13

Why is there an issue with left over cake? I take already cut up left over cake to work all the time. Those maniacs always dive right in. And when it's all said and done, it's just cake - it's not the end of the world if you throw some away.

jules06 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:24am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Why is there an issue with left over cake? I take already cut up left over cake to work all the time. Those maniacs always dive right in. And when it's all said and done, it's just cake - it's not the end of the world if you throw some away.





I don't know why she was worried about left over cake,there would have been plenty of people putting their hands up for it ! icon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'm not sure what I would have done, but cakes around us, get eaten. icon_smile.gif After it is cut and we have had all we can eat, does it get sent to work for others.




Ditto! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%