Need Help With Some Filling And Frosting Questions

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 11:35pm by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:15am
post #1 of 6

1. how do you get your frosting damm from bulging after the buttercream settles.?

2. I'm looking for a great marshmellow fondant?

3. do people really eat the fondant or scrap it off?

4. I want to make scrolls out of fondant. Is it a good idea or should I use gum paste?

5. How far in advance can I make the scroll and keep in a airtight container?
Daughter wedding in Aug.

thanks, I hope someone sees this.

5 replies
sebrina Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:33am
post #2 of 6

Well I can help with some of them!
1. Use stiff BC. If you still have problems (I live in Florida, everything melts) let it sit for a while after you stack it. If it bulges then, you can correct it before you add fondant.
2. I'm no help, I buy mine. I have no patience for all that mixing!
3. Kids love it. Most adults, not so much.
4. I have never used either to make scrolls.
5. I have kept decorations for a couple of months without any problems.

Hope this helps. Maybe we will get lucky & some of our more seasoned CCers will give some advise too! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

EmilyJo9 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 6

My go to MMF:

Super easy and tastes great!!!

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 6

dont' put the dam right on the very edge of the cake. leave about a 1/4" or 1/8" gap between the dam and the edge of the cake. that way, when you put the top layer on and push down it, which will logically push the dam out a bit, the dam doesn't fall off of the edge of the cake.

if, after assembly and after settling, there is still a gap, between the dam and the edge of the cake, I would take a piping bag with no tip and pipe a big 'stripe' in the gap, then smooth it out with the spatula.

In all honesty, I preferred doing my cakes this way .... piping the fill-in-stripe ..... it just seemed to help make for a smoother surface.

03FLSTF Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 6

My two cents ...

1. Icing dam - I use the same technique as indydebi and allow the cake to settle before applying fondant - preferably overnight if possible.
2. Fondant My favorite recipe is Marshmallow Fondant MacsMoms BC flavored variation. The recipe was submitted by MacsMom and is located at
3. Do people eat fondant or scrape it off? My personal experience: If its premade people seem to eat the cake and throw away the fondant. If its MacsMoms marshmallow fondant people gobble it up Ive even seen them eat the fondant first, then the cake!
4. Scrolls Gum paste dries very hard. I wouldnt be comfortable leaving it in place for someone to accidentally chomp. Ouch! I use fondant for decorations that will remain on the cake when its served.
5. Fondant decorations can be made in advance; however, dont store them in an airtight container. I store in an unused cardboard gift box, or on a sheet pan and cover with either paper towels or a clean dish towel.

funtodecorate2 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 6

thank you for your comments.
The frosting damm I'm talking about is using buttercream only. No fondant to cover . I've never used it on a cake. I practiced once on a cake pan to see how hard it was to apply. So what has happened is I make a damm, fill . sometimes I have space in between layers and take and pipe frosting in between and smooth. After it settles it sometimes bulges. I try and dampen a tool with warm water and smooth but usually make a bigger mess and it doesn't look very good. This happened to my Son's wedding cake and don't want it to happen to my daughters'. icon_sad.gif
thanks for the frosting recipes. Can't wait to try them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%