Name Vs Generic

Baking By Lcubed82 Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 5:01am by Lcubed82

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 5

silicone baking mats- Silpat vs other brands that cost a lot less??

I am looking at these and would love input. The other type I am looking at is the Chef Planet liner that is thinner, and can be cut to size. Does anyone use these?

TIA

4 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 5

I have some Silpat and some that are an unknown/no-name brand, much thinner. I haven't cut the thinner ones but I like them for my sheets that are a bit smaller than the mat -- it's easy to crease the edges and keep the mat lying flat in the pan. icon_smile.gif The thinner one also has right-angle corners whereas the Silpat has angled corners that leave a little triangle uncovered in each corner of the pan (but would fit better in a pan with rounded corners, I suppose), which can be relevant if you're using them for something that may spread all the way to the edges of the pan. The Silpat is not quite as floppy, and so is a bit easier to move around and to wash. I don't notice any real difference in non-stick performance.

I'm sorry I don't know the brand name of my thinner ones -- they were a gift and I don't think it's printed on them. Although I will try to remember to look when I get home.

Lcubed82 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks!

To clarify:

Silpat vs look-alikes

OR

Silpat-type vs Chef's Planet, which is totally different than the Silpat-type mats

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure if this'll help, but I have had good results using cheap thin sheets that I have cut to fit into certain cake pan sizes I have. I wash them easily in a sink with warm water and a drop of dish soap. You can also put them in the dishwasher but I haven't tried it. For a round pan, I cut a round for the bottom and a long strip to go around the inside wall. I find them flexible, and easy to manage, plus because I normally use silicon paper to line my pans, it saves me a lot of money. I got mine at Aldi for I think $4 for 3 huge sheets.

HTH.

Lcubed82 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:01am
post #5 of 5

Thanks, Evoir, for your information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%