The Party Is Sunday, Should I Frost Now?

Decorating By shadylady23 Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 11:50pm by leah_s

shadylady23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadylady23 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 5

I'm just starting a new post cause I need to know if I should frost this yet or not. The party is sunday at noon. I'm going to frost directly from the freezer, then am I suppose to keep it in the fridge? Or leave it out? If I keep it in the fridge, how long does it take to defrost completely? So I can be sure I won't be serving a cake that's frozen in the middle...

I'm such a newb. Sorry. icon_redface.gif

Thanks again! I will post pics when I'm done!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't seen your other post so I don't know what you're working on...but for a basic cake, I'd wrap the baked layers in plastic wrap and then foil, and freeze them until Saturday afternoon. Take them out and leave them on the counter an hour before you want to frost the cake. Let them thaw completely before you frost. Then, assuming you're not using a filling that has to be refrigerated, leave the frosted cake at room temp overnight for the party on Sunday.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 5

Why do you want to frost directly from the freezer? When you do that you run a risk that moisture and/or air bubbles will form under the frosting as the cake thaws.

I'd take the cake out of the freezer tomorrow, tort and/or carve and fill if applicable, crumbcoat (or just wrap in plastic -- you want to protect the cake itself from air exposure so it doesn't dry out) and let it settle overnight. Then do final frosting/covering on Saturday. Assuming you're using buttercream frosting and no perishable fillings, you don't need to keep it in the fridge; it's safer not to, so you don't have problems with condensation on your frosting.

shadylady23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadylady23 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 5

Oh... Maybe I shouldn't frost from the freezer, I just thought it'd be easier. But again, I'm a newb, so don't mind me...

Thanks for the advice, I can't wait until this thing is done! I'm getting anxious! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 5

what holly said. right on!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%