Cake For Chocoholic Sister...

Decorating By Barbara76 Updated 6 Sep 2005 , 1:00pm by LittleLinda

Barbara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbara76 Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:38am
post #1 of 6

My sister is turning 17, and she LOVES chocolate, and pirates. I am planning on making her a Pirate ship cake. Any suggestions for cake, filling and frostings?

Thanks

Barbara

5 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 2:09am
post #2 of 6

You can never go wrong with chocolate fudge cake, chocolate buttercream filling and a chocolate ganache buttercream icing. I have a chocolate lovers dream cake in my profile that I recently did, SO good!!

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 4:02am
post #3 of 6

Mamafrogcakes your chocolate cake sounds delish.. would you like to share that recipe? My sons girlfreind is having a birthday this week and I would like to make her a cake..your chocolate cake sounds perfect. icon_smile.gif
Liz

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 4:15am
post #4 of 6

Sure Liz! icon_biggrin.gif
I use the box cake mix (don't remember what brand) of Chocolate Fudge, add 1 c. of mayo and an extra egg. I alternate what I frost and fill with depending on the colors I want. For the cake in my profile I frosted with a chocolate buttercream and filled and detailed with the chocolate ganache buttercream.
For my choc BC, I use the Wilton basic BC and add Nestle Tollhouse cocoa. Some people swear by Hersheys, but I LOVE Nestle. Here is the recipe for the Choc Ganache Buttercream. I think I found this on Baking911...

Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Ganache Recipe
Generously frosts a two 8- or 9-inch layer cake with enough left over to pipe a top and bottom border.
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup corn syrup, light
2 sticks (1 cup) butter
2 bags (12 oz each) Nestle semi-sweet chips
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat cream, corn syrup and 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter on the stove until it JUST BARELY comes to a boil.

Place chocolate chips in a medium-sized bowl. Pour cream mixture over chocolate chips. Let stand 1 minute and stir until smooth. Let mixture cool slightly (but not harden) for a few minutes. The ganache should cool to tepid, about 100 degrees F.

In a mixer bowl, beat together 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter and confectioner's sugar until light and smooth. Add in the cooled ganache and vanilla extract and beat until smooth and light.

NOTE: Frost the cake while the buttercream is at room temperature. (If refrigerated, let sit to room temperature before using. If the buttercream gets too stiff to work with, even at room temperature, beat on low with a mixer. Overbeating the mixture can cause it to become gritty. If necessary, beat in a small amount (1 or 2 tablespoons) of heavy cream to soften slightly. However, the more cream you add, though, the softer the end buttercream will be. Stiffen with more powdered sugar.

I then garnished with white chocolate curls and shavings. You're making me hungry now!!!
thumbs_up.gif

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 4:58am
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much mamafrogcakes.. I will make it this week and I am sure she will love it.. That chocolate ganache sounds so yummy I might have to make two batches.. One for me and one for the cake..LOL.
Thanks again for sharing , your cake looks wonderful I hope mine turns out as good.. icon_smile.gif
Liz

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 6

I just wanted to post this picture here because your subject line might attract someone who could use this idea. When I got this cake order, all the mother told me was to come up with my own design and that he loves chocolate It came out so cool!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%