Need Some Quick Help Ladies!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 9:51pm by emrldsky

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 7

i havn't been doing cake much since i have two littles so i'm out of practice. i have a lady who wants a duck cake and smach cake for 35-45 people. with the wilton 3d duck on top. i was looking at serving guides and it seems for that many servings i would have to do a 14" round. would that be too big and look funny?

also, would you guys mind giving me a price idea? BC not fondant.

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 7

The 14" round *by itself* serves 78.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 7

single layer?

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 7

oh, and a specialty to feed that many would be at least $150-$200 I'm thinking.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 7

i'm going by party servings. she said she needs 35-45 servings. the duck itself is 12 servings. the guide i was going by for 2x2 slices says the 12" is 28 so that would be a total of 40. if she cuts smaller than that she will end up with more than enough. hmmm. what would you guys do? go by the wedding serving size instead and just tell her how to cut the slices? i'm always paranoid about not having enough. that would be a disaster if she ran out of cake but realistically that probably wouldn't happen. it's a party for a 1yr old btw.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 7

You could always do a batch of simple cupcakes just to ensure there's enough servings. I often do that.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

i'm going by party servings. she said she needs 35-45 servings. the duck itself is 12 servings. the guide i was going by for 2x2 slices says the 12" is 28 so that would be a total of 40. if she cuts smaller than that she will end up with more than enough. hmmm. what would you guys do? go by the wedding serving size instead and just tell her how to cut the slices? i'm always paranoid about not having enough. that would be a disaster if she ran out of cake but realistically that probably wouldn't happen. it's a party for a 1yr old btw.

All my servings are the same sizes...I do not charge differently for a party cake than I would a wedding cake. In my mind, a 10" is a 10", no matter what.

I think you might want to pick which serving guide you want to use for all orders and stick with it. Just because they might cut the pieces larger doesn't mean that you should just GIVE them more cake. If they know they will cut larger pieces, have them ORDER more cake, for your base per-serving price. It's less confusing for you (you don't have to keep track of whether it's a party cake or wedding cake) and its' less confusing for your clients, since you have one base price per serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%