Kids Party. Baking Cupcakes With Them $$

Business By salvamea Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 10:15pm by Dayti

salvamea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salvamea Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 6

I am hoping I am posting in the right forum. I was asked to go to a birthday party and bake goodies with the kids.

There will be 10 8 year old girls. I thought of a cool idea to make rainbow cupcakes then they will frost them and also sculp a gymnastic girl in fondant to put on top.

I believe she is counting on about 2-3 hrs doing this (she will have some games while the cupcakes are being baked)..

the million dollar question: how much I should charge?..I am bringing all ingredients to her house.

Thanks everyone!

5 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 6

I would not serve anything to children that I got paid for without a license, or you can do it for free. That is a sensitive group and more likely to get sick from food. My health dept advises not to even donate to the young and the old without a license. I know, everyone does it. No, they don't. They can supply all of their own supplies and then you would be ok. I am not trying to start one of those debates, just be aware. If you have a license, no problem. Charge your regular price for cupcakes, the gas, and what you need as an hourly rate (from the time you leave your house to the time you get home). You also need to factor the time to gather and bring that equipment to the party, and to cart it back.

salvamea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salvamea Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 6

yeap. I am licensed..I just didn't know how to price it since I've never done a "house-Visit". Thanks.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Charge your regular price for cupcakes, the gas, and what you need as an hourly rate (from the time you leave your house to the time you get home). You also need to factor the time to gather and bring that equipment to the party, and to cart it back.

I agree, regular price for cupcakes, then an hourly rate (and i wouldn't go below $25/hr with a minimum of 4 hours) And as mentioned, charge from the time you leave your house to the time you get home, if you had an employee do it you'd have to pay for them from the time they clock in at your place and leave to the time they get back for the day. You are an employee too!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 6

I just threw the license thing out there because it was kids. I had wanted to donate cakes before I was licensed to Hospice. I was told to wait to donate to the young and old after I was licensed, but anyone in between was ok. The risk is much higher for them.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 6

I would probably do this on a per-child basis, around $20-$25 seems to be the going rate for this kind of thing in the US. The good thing is you don't have to provide the space or do much clean up at their house.
So an afternoons work for $250 is not bad. Of course you may have to buy 10x the same icing tip for them to use, or tools if needed to make the figurine. Prep all the buttercream ahead and have your bags filled already - a selection of colours for them to choose from would be fun.
If each child is going to be taking the cupcakes home with them, you could provide a box for them, but that's not an issue if they are going to eat them there. I would count on 2 cupcakes per child.
Don't forget to offer a birthday cake on top of the $250!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%