Billowing Technique, How Do You Do This, It's Awesome.

Decorating By bakencake Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 7:14am by JanH

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:18am
post #91 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi-Tutty

I hope to get it this week since I received an email saying that it was shipped... icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty, I'm pretty sure its only the Oct/Nov issue thats been been shipped. We'll probably have to wait a while for the Jan/Feb issue to arrive.

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:16am
post #92 of 136

I think it is made with circles of fondant. Then picked up on 2 sides and pinched then laid in a form of some sort to dry. I think maybe they used the foam egg-crate bed topper foam. Equal sized circles pinched up would create the uniform size. And a uniform mold would keep everything uniform too.

I love figuring out how things are done without instructions from home improvement projects to cake decorating. Can't wait to see how it was actually done.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:39am
post #93 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeBabe

I think it is made with circles of fondant. Then picked up on 2 sides and pinched then laid in a form of some sort to dry. I think maybe they used the foam egg-crate bed topper foam. Equal sized circles pinched up would create the uniform size. And a uniform mold would keep everything uniform too.

I love figuring out how things are done without instructions from home improvement projects to cake decorating. Can't wait to see how it was actually done.

I'm with you. Once they were dry they could be attached to a fondant covered tier and attached with chocolate or something. I think they would pull off of BC....
I seriously can't stop staring at that pink wedding dress cake....

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:14am
post #94 of 136

The billowing is absolutely beautiful on the cake. Can't believe someone stole her entry. And the Elaine Thomas link was helpful. Thank you for posting.

mgj_jda71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgj_jda71 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 11:06am
post #95 of 136

i enjoy reading this thread some of the comments make me laugh,i hope somebody could share to us how they have done this billowing technique.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:07pm
post #96 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2BakeCakes

... Can't believe someone stole her entry...

I'd bet good money that they stole it for the sole reason of taking it apart to see how this technique was done. If I were the creator, I'd be checking the entries to other competitions now to see if any cakes like this show up. Of course, that'll only work until we get the Jan/Feb issue. After that, I predict this will replace the topsy turvy as the next overdone trend.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:47pm
post #97 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2BakeCakes

... Can't believe someone stole her entry...

I'd bet good money that they stole it for the sole reason of taking it apart to see how this technique was done. If I were the creator, I'd be checking the entries to other competitions now to see if any cakes like this show up. Of course, that'll only work until we get the Jan/Feb issue. After that, I predict this will replace the topsy turvy as the next overdone trend.

My thoughts exactly. What other reason could there be?

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:41am
post #98 of 136

So, I've been contemplating the technique and all and I showed it to my husband who said, don't waste your time. He was like, think through your brides, is there ANYONE who would have been sold on this. He's so right too. And surely it takes time, which costs money. And the cake serving reality is that if it's dried poofs that are then attached it will become a horribly crumbly mess when it is cut. It's nice to have someone to balance my obsessions.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:40pm
post #99 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

So, I've been contemplating the technique and all and I showed it to my husband who said, don't waste your time. He was like, think through your brides, is there ANYONE who would have been sold on this. He's so right too. And surely it takes time, which costs money. And the cake serving reality is that if it's dried poofs that are then attached it will become a horribly crumbly mess when it is cut. It's nice to have someone to balance my obsessions.

Maybe, but like I said before, I saw this on a cake at the OK State Sugar Art Show and I took a bunch of pictures to try and do it on my DD's wedding cake. I think it is a beautiful technique!!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:48pm
post #100 of 136

I'm not saying it's not pretty. Just that obsessing on figuring it out will most likely not benefit my business. It's not really the type of brides that contact me...

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:49pm
post #101 of 136

Since I've now gotten a few emails asking how I did my pink cake ( thanks to the last one that linked to this thread icon_smile.gif ) I will just answer it here. After embossing my cake with the desired pattern I take my veining tool and sculpt in to out (thinker in the base and thinner out). It helps if you do right away while the fondant is still softer and not to dig in to close to the cake.
Sweet Regards
Lori

The_Caketress Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:02pm
post #102 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Warchild, if you find out when the Food Network show airs that has Lori and Marina Sousa in the same challenge, promise you'll shout it somehow. I check all the time and I'm afraid to miss it. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I guess we'll have to wait for the tutorial in the magazine.

Also I still don't know when that episode will air but what I do know it will air in the US months before I will see it here in Canada. I believe they list upcoming episodes on the Food Network Site. I'm in the Renaissance Challenge.
Cheers
- L

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:18pm
post #103 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Caketress

Since I've now gotten a few emails asking how I did my pink cake ( thanks to the last one that linked to this thread icon_smile.gif ) I will just answer it here. After embossing my cake with the desired pattern I take my veining tool and sculpt in to out (thinker in the base and thinner out). It helps if you do right away while the fondant is still softer and not to dig in to close to the cake.
Sweet Regards
Lori

Thankyou for sharing your technique. You are an amazingly talented artist. icon_smile.gif

FEIwannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FEIwannabe Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:36pm
post #104 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Caketress

Quote:

Warchild, if you find out when the Food Network show airs that has Lori and Marina Sousa in the same challenge, promise you'll shout it somehow. I check all the time and I'm afraid to miss it. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I guess we'll have to wait for the tutorial in the magazine.

Also I still don't know when that episode will air but what I do know it will air in the US months before I will see it here in Canada. I believe they list upcoming episodes on the Food Network Site. I'm in the Renaissance Challenge.
Cheers
- L

I was in the Challenge right after yours (Awesome 80's) so we may have crossed paths. Can't wait to see your episode.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:00pm
post #105 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

Quote:

Will do! thumbs_up.gif

Here's a little something you might enjoy. A short article about a decorators private lesson with Lori Hutchinson.

http://dascupcake.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/crafting-couture-cupcakes-with-a-true-cake-artist-my-lesson-with-lori-hutchinson/

Thank you! That's a very good blog, too.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #106 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Here's a video step-by-step by a brilliant cake-maker called Elaine Thomas

http://www.creativecelebrationcakes.co.uk/page11.htm )

Relznik, thanks for posting that link to Elaine Thomas icon_biggrin.gif I watched her video and tried that method out tonight for a Valentine/Birthday Cake I am making for a client. It was so easy to do!! I am posting photos of my first attempt in my photos (because I can't get a photo to attach to my post... icon_rolleyes.gif )

Thanks,
Pam

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:05am
post #107 of 136

I think I may have figured out how to do the billowing technique, or my version of it at least. I cant post pics yet because I used the technique on one of my cakes that will be in a cake show/competition this weekend. I'll post after this weekend. Wish me luck!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:09am
post #108 of 136

ptanyer, your heart looks great!!!!

I wish the caketress would sell videos. I would super buy them- hint hint!

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:03am
post #109 of 136

I take classes with Andrea and I've met Susan at one of the classes. Both fabulous ladies with tons of talent. I've been waiting so patiently to see the new issue of Cake Central magazine with Susans technique. It's stunning and well deserved of winning awards! Andrea is a fabulous teacher and I think it's very nice of her to save the technique she was taught by Susan for Susan to share herself.

**The cake that was stolen was not recovered btw for those of you asking.

For me part of the fun is trying to figure out how to do certain techniques, I LOVE that part of caking. I don't think it's a waste of time but perhaps I see it differently in that I appreciate each individuals creativity and find it fun/challenging to try and figure out on my own before the "secret" is revealed. It's sort of like opening that one present at Christmas that you've been guessing what it is...and most of the fun was the guessing until the final reveal.

I have to take a moment and say to those of you with the nasty comments or criticisms please think carefully before you type out a snarky comment. icon_sad.gif Seriously, why is it that you cannot just appreciate the beauty of someones talent without picking it apart and making such comments as "the next overdone trend"? Maybe you've been in the business too long and you're jaded? Jealousy? Burnt out and want to tear others down? I don't care if people think Topsy Turvy is overdone, it still wows people, it's still neat IMO!

I think the billowing technique is beautiful and I don't really think many brides are going to be so picky as to worry what it would look like when it's cut. Also, Susan didn't copyright billowing, she trademarked the term for the technique...if she did a copyright she wouldn't be in an international cake magazine teaching a tutorial on it for others to use as they wish!

Gah... icon_mad.gif /end rant

ptanyer Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:56am
post #110 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif I really enjoyed doing it. As for videos, I'd be in line to buy them too icon_wink.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:31pm
post #111 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenovice2010

I have to take a moment and say to those of you with the nasty comments or criticisms please think carefully before you type out a snarky comment. icon_sad.gif Seriously, why is it that you cannot just appreciate the beauty of someones talent without picking it apart and making such comments as "the next overdone trend"? Maybe you've been in the business too long and you're jaded? Jealousy? Burnt out and want to tear others down? I don't care if people think Topsy Turvy is overdone, it still wows people, it's still neat IMO!

....Also, Susan didn't copyright billowing, she trademarked the term for the technique...if she did a copyright she wouldn't be in an international cake magazine teaching a tutorial on it for others to use as they wish!

Gah... icon_mad.gif /end rant

Since you partially quoted my comment and I don't see any posts in the thread that are "nasty comments and criticisms" or "picking it apart" I'll assume you are directing your rant at me.

My comment was not in the least snarky. If you read all of my posts in this thread, you will see that I happen to love and be amazed by this billowing technique, as I do the topsy turvy.

My post was implying that the billowing technique was so fabulous that, once they found out how, everyone would be doing it soon, just like what happened with topsy turvy. It was a compliment/joke. Please show me where I commented negatively on anyone's talent or the merit of a technique. In fact I did just the opposite. The only negativity that could be pulled from my post was my opinion that there is the tendency for things that are good to be turned into trends that every bride wants. There is no "Tearing others down" here.

Perhaps it is you who is burnt out and jaded. Or maybe it was just an oversensitive misinterpretation on your part because you know the people involved.

And if you read the whole thread, you can see where I posted the same clarification about copyright/trademark.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:51pm
post #112 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Here's a video step-by-step by a brilliant cake-maker called Elaine Thomas

http://www.creativecelebrationcakes.co.uk/page11.htm )

Relznik, thanks for posting that link to Elaine Thomas icon_biggrin.gif I watched her video and tried that method out tonight for a Valentine/Birthday Cake I am making for a client. It was so easy to do!! I am posting photos of my first attempt in my photos (because I can't get a photo to attach to my post... icon_rolleyes.gif )

Thanks,
Pam

That's brilliant! I'll let her know!! icon_biggrin.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:06pm
post #113 of 136

Wow, that technique is amazing!!! My brain is also trying to figure out how it was done. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm thinking that if you wanted a former to try this out with, an upside-down egg carton might work. It'd be uniform, about the right size, I think, and you can let them dry and set on top.

But that's just MY thought on it. icon_wink.gif

I'll patiently wait for the Jan/Feb issue to come out before making any attempts, though. icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:23pm
post #114 of 136

I cant wait to see how this is done!

ptanyer Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:43pm
post #115 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I cant wait to see how this is done!

Me either icon_biggrin.gif

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:04am
post #116 of 136

Has anyone received their CC mag issue to find out how it's done??

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:12am
post #117 of 136

I know here it seems to take a bit for it to arrive at the cake shops to buy. Probably a few more weeks? I was able to get the last issue about a month ago?

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:52am
post #118 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreetz

Has anyone received their CC mag issue to find out how it's done??

We just received the Oct/Nov issue, so the Jan/Feb issue that is mentioned here will not be out quite yet. I'm not sure when it will be released, as the Dec issue still hasn't been sent (if there will be a Dec issue).

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #119 of 136

There is no Dec. issue.

See the schedule here. Volume 2 is the 2011 issues.

http://shop.cakecentral.com/Cake-Central-Magazine-p/cakemag12.htm

Looks like it's not printed yet because there's no image for the cover.

The_Caketress Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:22am
post #120 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

No worries. I'm working on something special that should be out by the fall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%