Simple Question....please Help!

Decorating By rachelh37122 Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 2:55pm by rachelh37122

rachelh37122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelh37122 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 11

ok so i'm very new to this cake decorating business, but i've found that i absolutely love it! my question: if you're making a sheet cake and another cake out of a shaped pan and you want to put the shaped cake on top of the sheet cake, when do you frost what cake? should i frost the sheet cake first and then put the undecorated shaped cake on top of that and THEN frost the shaped cake? i'm wanting to make a monkey cake and have it laying on top of a sheet cake. im just afraid i'll get my icing colors messed up-any helpful hints would be much appreciated! thanks!

10 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 11

frost each one individually. then stack them.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 11

You may already know this but you will need to have a cake board under your shaped cake. Cut a piece of wax or parchment paper the same size as your cake board and place that on top of your sheet cake where the shaped cake will sit. Then place your shaped cake on the paper. This trick will help you place the cake where you want it and when you lift off the cake board while serving lift off the icing on the sheet cake.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 11

I would frost each cake separately. As with a stacked cake, I would have each cake all decorated except for borders, and any details that cross from one layer to the next. I would probably even support that upper cake with bubble straws when putting it on top.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 11

Make sure the shaped cake is on its own cake board. You can use the shaped pan to trace the outline onto a cake round or foam core. Put some bubble tea straws into the sheet cake to support the weight of the top cake. The cakes might only be 1 layer each but do you really want to risk having the top one smoosh the bottom one.

Kristy

KMaryP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMaryP Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 11

^^ agree. I made a boot cake placed on top of a sheet. Since my boot was covered in fondant (ie, heavy), it had its own cake board and I used dowels under it that were cut at the frosting level of the first layer. I didn't get the height of the dowels exactly right so I piped a border around the boot to hide the small gap.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 11

"You may already know this but you will need to have a cake board under your shaped cake."

I have to disagree about HAVING to have a board under the shaped cake on top of a sheet cake. If you have a single layer sheet cake and a single layer shaped pan cake, you can add the second cake directly on top of the frosted sheet cake not even using a cake board under it! That section of the cake, with 2 layers, will cut and serve like a 2 layer cake, and the other part will be cut and served like the standard sheet cake.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

"You may already know this but you will need to have a cake board under your shaped cake."

I have to disagree about HAVING to have a board under the shaped cake on top of a sheet cake. If you have a single layer sheet cake and a single layer shaped pan cake, you can add the second cake directly on top of the frosted sheet cake not even using a cake board under it! That section of the cake, with 2 layers, will cut and serve like a 2 layer cake, and the other part will be cut and served like the standard sheet cake.

bisbqueenb, I agree with you in part but I can't figure out how to transfer a decorated cake without a cake board. Can you enlighten me?

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 11

If you dont use a cake board inbetween the 2 cakes then dont decorate the top (monkey) until its placed on the sheet. cake. Just make sure to frost the sheet first, stack the other cake on top and decorate.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

If you dont use a cake board inbetween the 2 cakes then dont decorate the top (monkey) until its placed on the sheet. cake. Just make sure to frost the sheet first, stack the other cake on top and decorate.

I have done it this way, too. Works great & no need for supports or boards. It's also easy to cut & serve this way, as Brisbqueenb pointed out.

rachelh37122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelh37122 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 11

thanks everybody for all your help! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%